Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 78

Thread: Cats. I hate cats. So does my Roho.

  1. #41
    Senior Member pfcs49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NW NJ ***********T12 cmplt since 95
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    From where I sit this thread is just blokes chewing fat and pissing in the fire telling their tales over a beer. Nothing to get tits in a tangle over.
    My Roho has a pin hole at #4 on the fifth row from the rear. I cannot blame the cat because she got run over years back. Nor the dog because I sit on my cushion, not him. Plus Lewis hasn't been allowed inside since he took to pissing on occasion. Nor welding or cutting cause I use my outside run chair for that carry on.
    It could be my dropping weight onto it when transferring?
    Is that a legitimate acceptable cause for a puncture??
    Should I take full responsibility or blame the .......?
    Bugger! I have only myself to blame for this ......with Roho as accessory to the fact. Yeah, I said that right
    Anyway, life is fucked up enough when it is spent in a chair, without getting all twisted ,upset and protective when people are just spending time recounting their experiences.
    That's pretty much what I felt we were doing/saying.
    If we had resentments for our Rohos we wouldn't be sitting on them!
    Not wanting to be contrarian, but one of the participants is showing up like a critical parent. No fun!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

  2. #42
    Like just about every company who makes a product, the Roho cushions come with limited warranties that cover workmanship and defective materials, but does not cover an item if it has been abused, misused, subject to accident or damage or due to natural disasters. I have used Roho cushions for over 25 years and have had only 3 times when I exercised the warranty process. Proper use and care are the responsibility of the user. Lecture over!

    This cartoon appeared in our Sunday Comics this morning. Thought this might be appropriate and diffuse some of the tension here.

    Red & Rover by Brian Bassett, Mercury News Sunday, June 30, 2019
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-30-2019 at 02:23 PM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This cartoon appeared in our Sunday Comics this morning. Thought this might be appropriate and diffuse some of the tension here.

    Red & Rover by Brian Bassett, Mercury News Sunday, June 30, 2019
    https://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2019/06/30

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,697
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yep. As the guy who kicked the whole thing off, I was mostly being tongue-n-cheek. I don't hate cats, but I do strongly dislike them when they pop my $500 cushion.


    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    From where I sit this thread is just blokes chewing fat and pissing in the fire telling their tales over a beer. Nothing to get tits in a tangle over.
    My Roho has a pin hole at #4 on the fifth row from the rear. I cannot blame the cat because she got run over years back. Nor the dog because I sit on my cushion, not him. Plus Lewis hasn't been allowed inside since he took to pissing on occasion. Nor welding or cutting cause I use my outside run chair for that carry on.
    It could be my dropping weight onto it when transferring?
    Is that a legitimate acceptable cause for a puncture??
    Should I take full responsibility or blame the .......?
    Bugger! I have only myself to blame for this ......with Roho as accessory to the fact. Yeah, I said that right
    Anyway, life is fucked up enough when it is spent in a chair, without getting all twisted ,upset and protective when people are just spending time recounting their experiences.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Thanks KLD for your speedy correction to my post when you didn't see the Attached Image. I hit Post Quick Reply by mistake and was in the process of editing and correcting my post when you attached the link to the cartoon.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Like just about every company who makes a product, the Roho cushions come with limited warranties that cover workmanship and defective materials, but does not cover an item if it has been abused, misused, subject to accident or damage or due to natural disasters. I have used Roho cushions for over 25 years and have had only 3 times when I exercised the warranty process. Proper use and care are the responsibility of the user. Lecture over!
    No shit Sherlock. Rather than call us a bunch of irresponsible little shits, maybe you should get out more and then you'll see it ain't so simple.

  7. #47
    This post started as a tongue-in-cheek comment about a flat in a Roho from a cat. Just blowing off a little steam. Nothing wrong with that. But like most other posts, there were subtopics. Perhaps the most important subtopic is how to prevent flats. Of course, you can use a Roho cover. But not everyone has one. Plus small grains of sand can easily get through a Roho cover. So, I ask my question again, what's wrong with using a pillow case (properly sized) as a cover in a pinch (when you know you're at risk of a particle getting in there)? This question is directed to KLD. Legitimate question on skin care deserves an answer.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    This post started as a tongue-in-cheek comment about a flat in a Roho from a cat. Just blowing off a little steam. Nothing wrong with that. But like most other posts, there were subtopics. Perhaps the most important subtopic is how to prevent flats. Of course, you can use a Roho cover. But not everyone has one. Plus small grains of sand can easily get through a Roho cover. So, I ask my question again, what's wrong with using a pillow case (properly sized) as a cover in a pinch (when you know you're at risk of a particle getting in there)? This question is directed to KLD. Legitimate question on skin care deserves an answer.
    I know this is directed at KLD and you don't want to hear from me, but... I can't see anything wrong with using a pillow case in a pinch...and no not as a substitute on a regular basis. What makes you think grains of sand or other debris can't/won't penetrate a cotton, cotton/poly pillow case with the same result you mention?

    "Irresponsible little shits"..your words not mine.

    From Permobil FAQs http://permobilus.com/support/seating-positioning/faq/

    Can I place an incontinence pad, towel, draw sheet or Hoyer lift sling over a ROHO? cushion or mattress?

    Anything you place over a ROHO cushion or mattress — or any cushion or mattress — can interfere with its effectiveness. ROHO cushions and mattresses increase the contact area through immersion and envelopment when you sink into them, redistributing the weight so there are limited peak pressures. When anything is placed between you and the cushion or mattress, surface tension is increased and you will have a more difficult time effectively sinking into the cushion or mattress, or you may create a high pressure point from the pad, towel, etc.
    We also realize that your individual needs, like incontinence, safety during transfers, etc., need to be considered. A licensed healthcare professional should weigh the risks of placing a pad, towel or Hoyer sling versus the risk of not employing these items.
    If a pad, towel or draw sheet is required, we recommend that you use the fewest layers possible. Pads or sheets should lay very loose over the cushion or mattress, not tight.
    If removing a Hoyer lift sling is going to increase shear and friction, which may be detrimental to skin, a licensed healthcare professional should weigh the risks of keeping the sling in place versus removing it.

    Can I use my ROHO cushion without a cover?

    It’s true that anything that you place over a ROHO cushion — or any cushion — can interfere with its effectiveness. ROHO cushions work by increasing the contact area through immersion and envelopment when you sink into the product, redistributing weight so there are limited peak pressures. Anything placed between you and the cushion, even a ROHO cover, can limit that immersion and envelopment by increasing surface tension and makes it more difficult to effectively sink into the cushion. ROHO has gone to great lengths to provide covers that allow immersion with the least amount of surface tension created. From a scientific standpoint, ROHO cushion inventor Robert Graebe would recommend a ROHO cushion, with the exception of Air/Foam combination cushions, be used without the cover.
    Our covers are made so that there is little, if any, interference with pressure distribution, immersion and envelopment. When other products are used instead of ROHO provided covers, surface tension increases and the cushion may be less effective.
    Bottom line: Can a ROHO cushion be used without a cover? All Air/Foam combination cushions must be used with their ROHO cover. All other cushions may be used without the supplied cover, especially if there is no risk that the cells will be caught in something.

    Should the cushion be used with something other than ROHO covers?

    No.


  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I can't see anything wrong with using a pillow case in a pinch.
    Glad we agree. It's only common sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    "A licensed healthcare professional should weigh the risks of placing a pad, towel or Hoyer sling versus the risk of not employing these items." - Roho Company
    That's what I said earlier. Far riskier to get a flat than to cover the cushion. Again, common sense.

    So we're in total agreement. If only you had agreed in the first place, we wouldn't have gone through this rigmarole.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What makes you think grains of sand or other debris can't/won't penetrate a cotton, cotton/poly pillow case with the same result you mention?
    Fair question. Of course, there is no guarantee. But a tighter weave will provide more protection. It's a matter of appropriate measure. There are more aggressive measures, like an impermeable membrane (plastic, vinyl). Trade off is that it won't breathe. But then again, neither does rubber. Use common sense and judge each situation on it's own.

Similar Threads

  1. cats and air mattresses
    By alan in forum Life
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
  2. why dogs hate cats?
    By adi chicago in forum Life
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM
  3. Cats Cats Cats
    By Slider82 in forum Family
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 05:45 AM
  4. cats and Led Zeppelin
    By ~Patrick~ in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 05:31 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2002, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •