Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering bladder augmentation

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Reflex voiding was commonly used as the preferred method of bladder management for men with SCI in the 1960s and 1970s. In the mid-1980s we found that many men who were using this technique had unsafe high bladder pressures, and that these high bladder pressures were increasing their risks for upper UTIs, hydronephrosis, and kidney damage over the long term.

Rarely is it appropriate now days for someone to use reflex voiding as a safe way to manage their bladder; certainly not without having urodynamics done on a regular basis to assure that high bladder pressures (over 40 cm. H20) are not occurring.

(KLD)
    I greatly respect your knowledge and expertise. Countless times it has given me direction I needed.

I may be misunderstanding McDuff’s original post. My post was solely trying to address the “leakage” issue he mentioned in his initial post. I am not suggesting that he stop IC by any means. I was just sharing a way I decided early on in SCI to avoid leakage or accidents.

I don’t pretend to understand the importance and intricacies of urodynamics only that it is very important to keep an ongoing monitoring and scheduled checkups with one’s urologist.

I realize now that concerns about bladder shrinkage mentioned in the post may be the reason for considering bladder augmentation surgery. I apologize if I was giving bad advice by sharing my experience, it wasn’t my intent.

ETA: Art I am with you in general, I have had two hospitalizations since SCI. At 66 I am doing all I can not to get sliced and diced in a hospital. I would have to weigh each benefit and risk before any surgery.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 08-26-2019 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Et: content

Thanks Everybody for resurrecting this post, damn, hard to believe it's been 2 months already since I posted this. Time is flying by as I get older(sorry Dad, you were right again).

We have had a bunch of other stuff going on, so haven't made any forward progress on any decisions yet. I did get botox again and hit up the Uro about it again, but have not had an office visit yet to go over it seriously. Believe me guys, at 63, and have had way more hospital visits these last 16 yrs of sci than I ever could have imagined, I dread the thought of this major type surgery.

Sholbert, thanks for another idea for capturing the unwanted pee.

ChesBay, thanks for putting out how you manage, man we are an inventive group when it comes to making it thru our days. I have not tried using an external cath, due to the things like what KLD posted, and that others have had sphincterotomies(sp?), so that they could use them w/o getting any "back pressure" issues. Kinda spooked me off of them. Glad to hear that your process works for you though.

Art, I've had to go the foley route a few times for various reasons, and I guess because I'm used to the IC route, I have not found using a foley and leg bag a comfortable idea. But as with anything we do in this sci world, I could get used to it, other shit we do is worse for sure.

So, as my usual, stasis has taken hold for the moment, and I'm not sure what, if anything I am going to do yet.

Thanks again y'all.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I had the foley a few times to for a false passage. After while...3 weeks... I got use to it. Then going back to ic was a pain. I guess you get used to it anyway you have to.
    Art