Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Never-ending Bloating and Constipation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Question Never-ending Bloating and Constipation?

    I'm working with a G.I. physician who specializes in neurogenic bowel dysfunction. For over a decade (w/sci) I never had not had real issues outside of having to do the bowel program every other day.

    Over the past seven months ? something weird is going on in my intestinal tract and I fluctuate between constipation, large amounts of air, and I appear to be pregnant. most the time it is air or gas.

    I've tried multiple different laxatives (rx) to eliminate factors and I'm on a very restrictive diet but no luck so far eliminating the main problem.
    .
    Does anyone have any suggestions on best diets for people with SCI and what are the markers for inflammatory bowel disease versus my "IBS" diagnosis?

    I'm currently, on a low-fat map diet, no lactose, small amounts of gluten and restricting all red meats.

    Next step is going to be dietitian.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I'm working with a G.I. physician who specializes in neurogenic bowel dysfunction. For over a decade (w/sci) I never had not had real issues outside of having to do the bowel program every other day.

    Over the past seven months ? something weird is going on in my intestinal tract and I fluctuate between constipation, large amounts of air, and I appear to be pregnant. most the time it is air or gas.

    I've tried multiple different laxatives (rx) to eliminate factors and I'm on a very restrictive diet but no luck so far eliminating the main problem.
    .
    Does anyone have any suggestions on best diets for people with SCI and what are the markers for inflammatory bowel disease versus my "IBS" diagnosis?

    I'm currently, on a low-fat map diet, no lactose, small amounts of gluten and restricting all red meats.

    Next step is going to be dietitian.
    Any changes in medications, prescription or over the counter?

    Last fall, during our "second" allergy season, I took Benadryl for 5 days straight. Nothing else changed in my diet or medications. My belly became very distended and I could not get any stool movement at all. Finally felt I had to go to the hospital to get help. MRI, blood and urine tests, nothing could explain what was happening. Doctor sent me home with a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and suggested I stop taking Benadryl. The doctor thought since I already take a low dose anticholinergic (Oxybutynin) and added the Benadryl, I had two contributing factors that could cause major constipation. I took the Magnesium Citrate and within 24 hours, my belly was no longer distended and my regular bowel routine was re-established pretty quickly. This may not be your exact problem, but the point is, it doesn't take much to upset the neurogenic bowel and throw it completely off routine.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Any changes in medications, prescription or over the counter?

    Last fall, during our "second" allergy season, I took Benadryl for 5 days straight. Nothing else changed in my diet or medications. My belly became very distended and I could not get any stool movement at all. Finally felt I had to go to the hospital to get help. MRI, blood and urine tests, nothing could explain what was happening. Doctor sent me home with a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and suggested I stop taking Benadryl. The doctor thought since I already take a low dose anticholinergic (Oxybutynin) and added the Benadryl, I had two contributing factors that could cause major constipation. I took the Magnesium Citrate and within 24 hours, my belly was no longer distended and my regular bowel routine was re-established pretty quickly. This may not be your exact problem, but the point is, it doesn't take much to upset the neurogenic bowel and throw it completely off routine.
    When you took Magnesium Citrate did you have fear of having an accident?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    When you took Magnesium Citrate did you have fear of having an accident?
    I knew there would be an accident. There was so much stool and gas, I was in an explosive condition. We prepared just as we would when doing the prep before a colonoscopy. Magnesium Citrate is not be taken casually or as a regular stimulant for routine bowel programs.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I knew there would be an accident. There was so much stool and gas, I was in an explosive condition. We prepared just as we would when doing the prep before a colonoscopy. Magnesium Citrate is not be taken casually or as a regular stimulant for routine bowel programs.
    So you took it once and it eliminated the gas? Did it effect your normal routine & is your bowel program daily or every other day?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    So you took it once and it eliminated the gas? Did it effect your normal routine & is your bowel program daily or every other day?
    Using magnesium citrate was a one off, prescribed event to get me passed this the extreme constipation I was experiencing. This event was last fall, and I have not had to use magnesium citrate again. I am back to my normal bowel program using a Magic Bullet suppository every other day.

  7. #7
    This is actually enlightening. THANK YOU. I have started to take Benadryl myself to go to sleep. As a result of multiple traumas I have lost the ability to have any consistent sleep without aids. So the Tylenol PM has been my go to. Time to pick up's melatonin.

    I need to sleep but I don't think the Benadryl is doing me any favors.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    This is actually enlightening. THANK YOU. I have started to take Benadryl myself to go to sleep. As a result of multiple traumas I have lost the ability to have any consistent sleep without aids. So the Tylenol PM has been my go to. Time to pick up's melatonin.

    I need to sleep but I don't think the Benadryl is doing me any favors.
    I've had this sleep discussion with my physician. His go to sleep aid is Unisom Minis. NL and I have just recently started taking melatonin. It seems to work well. Both of us are noticing that we dream a lot more than before melatonin.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    This is actually enlightening. THANK YOU. I have started to take Benadryl myself to go to sleep. As a result of multiple traumas I have lost the ability to have any consistent sleep without aids. So the Tylenol PM has been my go to. Time to pick up's melatonin.

    I need to sleep but I don't think the Benadryl is doing me any favors.
    Benadryl should be used with caution, especially in seniors. It appears you are only 40, but something to keep in mind.

    Have you been evaluated for possible sleep apnea? This can cause interrupted sleep as well, and is fairly common among people with SCI/D.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  10. #10
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    1,093
    This has become one of my biggest issues when it comes to physical appearance. I am embarrassingly so bloated with gas that I look beyond pregnant. I could deal with the typical quad belly, but this goes beyond. I?m otherwise thin, but now require XXL shirts that are still tight in the belly, yet loose in the shoulders. It baffles me that given the pressure and extent of the bloating, that it doesn?t just expel itself. Even when being transferred using my lift, in the air, you would think that some would escape, but no. I can even hear the gas transitioning constantly. When it?s routine time the first stim often expels a LARGE amount of gas. Ive tried charcoal tablets, all the over the counter remedies, changes in diet, but no luck. So frustrating!!

Similar Threads

  1. Bloating
    By charmed1199 in forum Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
  2. Bloating
    By cubanito_016 in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 11:38 PM
  3. abdominal bloating
    By Amelia in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
  4. bloating an gas
    By joev in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
  5. Bloating
    By KiranA in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •