Thread: Confused about bowel/bladder issues and sensation. SCI nurse?

Confused about bowel/bladder issues and sensation. SCI nurse?

Sometimes I?m sure that I?ve had a major accident, only to discover my leakage pad is full of what looks like just urine and not poop. My theory is that either:

1. It IS urine and I can?t tell the difference between what my anus and my urethra are doing (during my bowel routine and usually when I DO have an accident I can definitely feel what?s going on, so this possibility confuses me)

2. There?s some kind of clear liquid coming from my gut

feedback, counsel, anyone?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Sontou use suppositories? Could it be glycerine?

You should be able to tell the difference by the smell.

Blog Entries
    Do you use petrol based suppositories, I.e. Magic Bullets? Before I switched to the (unfortunately slower acting) vegetable oil suppositories I would have a clearish-yellow discharge within a couple hours of doing my BP unless I really took my time and digi stimmed until I saw it come out. Otherwise, it would almost always find its way out after I had shit-showered-n-shaved and got somewhere a bowel accident was as inconvenient as possible. The stench of that stuff was nothing like urine though. My wife and I took to calling it "sea-bird" since it smells like the rotting carcasses of dead seagulls that wash up on the bay shore by our house.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I only use saline (fleet type) enemas and don't recall a poopy smell

If you have a bowel movement after every fleets enema then it shouldn't be bowel. Urine is usually yellow color.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    I only use saline (fleet type) enemas and don't recall a poopy smell
    Fleet saline enemas are pretty harsh. Maybe you need to find other modalities to manage your bowels over long term.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have a bowel movement after every fleets enema then it shouldn't be bowel. Urine is usually yellow color.
    CWO
    my question is, then...

is theory #1 correct:
    ( I can?t tell the difference between what my anus and my urethra are doing (during my bowel routine and usually when I DO have an accident I can definitely feel what?s going on, so this possibility confuses me)

are sensations like mine (sometimes correct, sometimes incorrect) possible/common among other SCI patients, especially as time passes? the inaccuracy has only started recently.

To answer your questions, since the same nerve roots innervate your bowel and bladder, it is possible that you are getting mixed signals. Just like anyone, things change with time. So, while this may not have happened in the past, it could be now.
    Do you have someone who follows you for your spinal cord injury? It would be helpful to know if your sensation is changing and a neuro exam would tell you that.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.