Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone driving Pacifica conversion from chair

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Wow! What a pain in the butt. Thanks for the info on the recall process. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company on when we can get the ball rolling. Are the floor drops heights your talking about for the Braun conversions only?
    No, all the different conversion companies offer a 14" or close to as well as a 10". I think Honda is going to lower floor only or was told that by a different dealer. Who knows, that's why we have to be really specific on what we're ordering and get it in writing exact type and esp. floor drop height. I ordered Braun Fold out ramp. If done right it should have said Braun Fold out ramp 10" drop or Braun fold out ramp XT 14" drop. The guy is blaming me for the mistake when in fact whomever put the XT in the order is to blame. I think it was him personally. Some of these guys are worse than used car salesman. I wish I could have bought from Alliance in Vancouver BC. Craig is one of the best dealers I've worked with. Totally honest and answered any question on this order I had though it wasn't his and knew I wasn't buying from him. I couldn't because of import restrictions on new vehicles.

That's a great looking van Hack. My new one is the same color red. I like that your cup holders are still in front. On a Braun, they have a couple bolts the cup holder slides into on the side of the seat. Not ideal but no complaints. I still am shaking my head over this. I end up with a slightly lesser equipped vehicle losing 3800 on the window sticker price and having to cough up thousands more with Braun also contributing thousands more for their mistake. And the guy is pissed at me; go figure lol.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-30-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    No, all the different conversion companies offer a 14" or close to as well as a 10". I think Honda is going to lower floor only or was told that by a different dealer. Who knows, that's why we have to be really specific on what we're ordering and get it in writing exact type and esp. floor drop height. I ordered Braun Fold out ramp. If done right it should have said Braun Fold out ramp 10" drop or Braun fold out ramp XT 14" drop. The guy is blaming me for the mistake when in fact whomever put the XT in the order is to blame. I think it was him personally. Some of these guys are worse than used car salesman. I wish I could have bought from Alliance in Vancouver BC. Craig is one of the best dealers I've worked with. Totally honest and answered any question on this order I had though it wasn't his and knew I wasn't buying from him. I couldn't because of import restrictions on new vehicles.

That's a great looking van Hack. My new one is the same color red. I like that your cup holders are still in front. On a Braun, they have a couple bolts the cup holder slides into on the side of the seat. Not ideal but no complaints. I still am shaking my head over this. I end up with a slightly lesser equipped vehicle losing 3800 on the window sticker price and having to cough up thousands more with Braun also contributing thousands more for their mistake. And the guy is pissed at me; go figure lol.
    I'm not sure if the Braun we test drove was a 10in or 14in drop. If it was 10 I will definitely want to test drive the 14. Braun had a smoother ride than the VMI. Something doesn't add up with your situation.

The 14" drop has a step built into the moulding next to the front doors. The 10" drop doesn't. The 14" are nice, especially for power chairs, just not to my liking. Didn't like all the extra steps it took to transfer into the drivers seat and in position to drive. Couldn't reach anything from the drivers seat if I dropped it on the floor without lowering the seat and reaching for my wallet in my chair required the same lowering of the seat. I use the top of the back on the passenger seat to transfer to the drivers seat. With the floor being 4" lower that move was impossible because of the back being 4" higher. I hear some paras like the lower floor, I felt like I was sitting in a pit. The angle may be a bit steeper in a 10" but am using a ZX1 now and shouldn't be much steeper than my old VMI with a 9" drop.

What wasn't right was the dealer sent my insurance and myself invoices and billing with the correct model of Braun I wanted. When he sent the order in to Braun, he added XT to the model making it a 14" drop. He said they always order an XT and never sold a 10" floor drop. Something I find hard to believe. If he's never sold one, why have one on the lot.

I was lucky Braun stepped in and also contributed 5 grand towards the tradein with my adding another 5G's. 2G of it is for leather upholstery not offered with the Touring Plus. I always go for leather to help with the transfers and lasts longer. Braun must have known I had a valid case by doing what they did. I'm sure they won't forget this mixup had cost them 5 G's and my needing to kick in the cash I did while losing the van I bought specifically for this build. It all goes full circle. He used to be the only Braun dealer in the area. Kersey bought VMI and Braun. They have two locations in our area now offering both conversions. So the only place to buy a Braun conversion has now turned to three. This requirement of only being able, so I was told, buy in the area we live is nonsense. I don't want to disparage the dealer too much as this is a public forum. What gripes me the most is the lack of respect, honesty and willingness to make it right. It sure paid off inquiring with the various Company reps, Braun, VMI, Rollx and being assigned a rep. from each company. If I had just gone thru the dealer for info, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.

One of the reasons I went with the S package was for the 18" wheel and better leather. Not sure if it raises the van but looks cleaner, imo, with less wheel space.

Is this accurate regarding filling in the wheel space? As I mentioned in one of my posts, that it one of my dislikes with my Braun Pacifica, the big gap in the wheel wells. I just assumed a larger wheel/tire would just make the van higher, and not necessarily fill the gap? Also, is it accurate that a larger tire also gives a bumpier ride? With the heavy duty suspension, I already find the ride a bit bouncy.

I wonder if my local Chrylser dealer would allow me to demo the larger wheels/tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    The 14" drop has a step built into the moulding next to the front doors. The 10" drop doesn't. The 14" are nice, especially for power chairs, just not to my liking.
    Ok, the two we test drove had the step by the front doors. I'm still leaning towards the VMI conversion. Braun can't beat their ground clearance. Does the Braun come with a backup system if the battery dies like VMI? My insurance company buys a van that has already been modified and is ready to drive. Hopefully I will hear something in the next few weeks.

I have a 2018 Pacifica LS Touring Plus with a VMI conversion. After 35 years in a manual chair my shoulders are shot so I am driving the van from my first electric chair. First, I love the safety features. The backup camera, forward camera and overhead view allow me to put the van an inch or two away from obstacles. My favorite is the the blind spot warning, it is hard to turn well enough to see from the power chair but all i have to do is glance to confirm it is clear instead of craning my neck and moving my head around to view the area from the mirror.

Second, the reason we decided on the VMI Pacifica is the switchable front seats. We have the driver's seat in storage so I can drive. The passenger seat can easily be moved to the driver's side so my wife can drive while I ride. This is great for long trips or could be useful in the event of emergencies, her car being disabled and so forth. When I was shopping a year ago VMI was the only one who had this and only on the Pacifica.

What has given me the most trouble is the batteries. There are three, the main vehicle battery, a motorcycle type battery that is the backup for the ramp and a motorcycle battery that is an OEM auxilary battery from Chrysler. This is to power the systems (bells and whistles) when the engine is off to preserve the power in the main battery. My short trips to work were not getting all the batteries up to full charge in cold weather. So the VMI systems starting getting wonky and I got a few weird idiot lights. Eventually the the VMI circuit breaker popped due to low voltage. The solution was an on board battery tender, I have the plug sticking out of the grill and plug the van in at night in the garage. That fixed all the issues.

If I did it again, I would go the same route. My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    I have a 2018 Pacifica LS Touring Plus with a VMI conversion. After 35 years in a manual chair my shoulders are shot so I am driving the van from my first electric chair. First, I love the safety features. The backup camera, forward camera and overhead view allow me to put the van an inch or two away from obstacles. My favorite is the the blind spot warning, it is hard to turn well enough to see from the power chair but all i have to do is glance to confirm it is clear instead of craning my neck and moving my head around to view the area from the mirror.

Second, the reason we decided on the VMI Pacifica is the switchable front seats. We have the driver's seat in storage so I can drive. The passenger seat can easily be moved to the driver's side so my wife can drive while I ride. This is great for long trips or could be useful in the event of emergencies, her car being disabled and so forth. When I was shopping a year ago VMI was the only one who had this and only on the Pacifica.

What has given me the most trouble is the batteries. There are three, the main vehicle battery, a motorcycle type battery that is the backup for the ramp and a motorcycle battery that is an OEM auxilary battery from Chrysler. This is to power the systems (bells and whistles) when the engine is off to preserve the power in the main battery. My short trips to work were not getting all the batteries up to full charge in cold weather. So the VMI systems starting getting wonky and I got a few weird idiot lights. Eventually the the VMI circuit breaker popped due to low voltage. The solution was an on board battery tender, I have the plug sticking out of the grill and plug the van in at night in the garage. That fixed all the issues.

If I did it again, I would go the same route. My 2 cents
    Thanks for your 2 cents! That is interesting about the batteries. Of course here in Florida we don't have to worry about the cold weather. We went on a trip this past week and accidentally ran the main battery dead. Luckily for us we were able to use the backup battery for the ramp. Our VMI Sienna is 5 years old and the backup battery has never been replaced. It makes us feel good knowing we have this backup feature. Did you have any recalls on your Pacifica?
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 06-30-2019 at 10:46 PM.

how wide are those things with the ramp folded out
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Finally got in to check a ROLLX Pacifica. Really nice. I have always been at a slight angle when driving my Caravans and Odyssey because not enough room. Makes for taxing driving on trips. I can pull straight in and head room is great. Steering wheel extension really helps avoiding pinning my feet against firewall as with my other vans. Definitely going this route as it is cheaper and I have had such a great experience with ROLLX for the last 15 years. Rides better and better sound proof than my Odyssey ever did. Looked at VMI but I swear they modified the suspension with their conversion. Rollx uses manufacturer suspension. Steering requires less effort than Honda. Love the safety tech features. They have worked out some minor annoyances I have experienced with the other Rollx's I have owned.

ROLLX IF YOU ARE LISTENING PLEASE FIX YOUR SEAT BASE SYSTEM. MOVING THE SEATS IS A FREAKING NIGHTMARE. I CANT IMAGINE IT WOULD REQUIRE MUCH WORK. VMI HAS A BETTER SYSTEM.