Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried new catheters after botox

Tried new catheters after botox

I am about 20 years post injury. I have some sensation when it comes to my privates, not much though. I had botox injections 2 months ago. I also tried a new catheter that Im not too fond of. Anyhow, i have been having some pain in my penis. Not a good pain. It comes in waves. Its almost like a need to urinate. I have noticed if i am having the pain during my bp that it goes away. Im thinking UTI?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDude View Post
    I am about 20 years post injury. I have some sensation when it comes to my privates, not much though. I had botox injections 2 months ago. I also tried a new catheter that Im not too fond of. Anyhow, i have been having some pain in my penis. Not a good pain. It comes in waves. Its almost like a need to urinate. I have noticed if i am having the pain during my bp that it goes away. Im thinking UTI?
    Any other symptoms that would indicate urinary tract infection?

Not feelimg great. A little bit tired. Nothing major. Usually with a uti i am pretty spastic. It almost seems like my bladder is trying to pass urine anytime its there. Like its irritated. Would a foley helpm

Might be a urethritis as a result of the new catheter. Two months hence I would think the Botox procedure is unrelated unless there was some trauma at the time that never resolved.

Sounds plausible. Im thinking i need to really fill up the fluids. Do you think a foley would be better than repeatedly having my bladder spasm and try to push out that urine?

Sounds plausible. Im thinking i need to really fill up the fluids. Do you think a foley would be better than repeatedly having my bladder spasm and try to push out that urine?
    But you had Botox that should ameliorate your bladder spasms...If the Botox isn't working may be you have to supplement the Botox with anticholeringerics.

Do you know the dosage of Botox you got? Was this the first time you had Botox injections? Sometimes after several courses of Botox it doesn't work anymore.

So...

There's no substitute for a competent professional examination. Was this your first Botox procedure? Pain in your penis may be due to a urethritis -- inflammation caused by the catheters you switched to (hydrophilic??) -- but may have no relation to your bladder spasms, which might be the result of a low-grade UTI. You need to have your urine cultured to look not only for bacteria but white blood cells which would indicate inflammation (of your bladder, urethra, or both). Upping your fluids won't do any harm but it's not likely going to be a successful treatment. Limited time use of a foley might be appropriate if your urethra is be re-traumatized every time you cath.

Gather ideas here but see your urologist!

First time with botox. 20 injections. I think 200 units.

Went to urgent care. Found out it is a uti. But sldo found that i had glucose in my urine. They did a finger prick and my glucose number was 297. Now i have diabetes! Great!

Went to urgent care. Found out it is a uti. But sldo found that i had glucose in my urine. They did a finger prick and my glucose number was 297. Now i have diabetes! Great!
    Glad that you got examined. I would still encourage you to see a urologist. Having no sensation from below my injury level, I don't know whether any of my UTIs have ever caused pain in my penis. As I wrote above, you may have a urethritis in addition to a UTI and an urgent care doc is not trained or equipped to diagnose that. And the diabetes... oy to the vey!!