Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braun conversion

braun conversion

just wondering what braun conversion yall like ill probably be getting a mimivan this fall i want the fold out ramp but it seems braun has a few different types any thoughts on likes or dislikes
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I have the fold out ramp. Braun fit and finish is horrible for what we pay. The ramp rattles. I would have like to have the in floor version but that was only offered on the dodge and I think the Toyota at that time, and really raised the vehicle making it look even worse. I never drove in one but I assume the rattle would be less in the floor and more room in the cabin.
    I also bought the B&D seat and got rid of the stupid switch box for the handheld pendant. It looks much better and tucks easily behind the seat. Also allow me to get closer to the seat to transfer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I have the fold out ramp. Braun fit and finish is horrible for what we pay. The ramp rattles. I would have like to have the in floor version but that was only offered on the dodge and I think the Toyota at that time, and really raised the vehicle making it look even worse. I never drove in one but I assume the rattle would be less in the floor and more room in the cabin.
    I also bought the B&D seat and got rid of the stupid switch box for the handheld pendant. It looks much better and tucks easily behind the seat. Also allow me to get closer to the seat to transfer.
    I owned a dodge with a Braun foldout for 15 years and wholeheartedly endorse CFX as this conversion is shit.
    It rattles like mad, I'd ride in back next to it with my arm precariously between the gate and door just to limit the damn noise just so I hear the driver speak.
    In February I attended the mobility show in NJ to shop new vans. Saw the new Braun foldout and guess what?????
    Nothing's changed.
    I went for VMI, it doesn't rattle but the inability to easily deploy it manually freaks me out. I know about the duel back up deploy means. One relies on battery, the other uses a manual crank in floor. The latter requires an able bodied to operate.
    Be forewarned

When I was looking 2015. VMI had a battery back up to deploy the ramp. I was told the battery needed to be replaced yearly and that was over 50.00. I did a review on VMI when I was looking. The biggest thing I noticed was that the ramps on every van I looked at rubbed against the door. I would watch that on the Braun also. Another thing on the VMI they had a bump right at the top of the ramp entering the van or when leaving the van.

Is the ramp of a Braun fold out the same length as an in-floor?

Have 3k miles on a Braun Sienna foldout. I’m not having any rattles or squeaks. Frankly it surprises me how solid it feels driving for being so cut up. I also took the box off my transfer seat and use the pendant. I’m getting ready put 3 switches in the shroud of the seat as it’s open space down there.
    Does anybody notice the seat is offset towards the drivers door? Mine is about an inch offset to the steering wheel and it bugs me.
    The two styles of ramp extend within a couple inches of each other.

we rented a new sienna with foldout in florida it was very quiet. what is crazy to me is ramp angle, even kneeled it seems steep. noway this quad could ever push up and im strong.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm on my 2nd Braun foldout minivan. Overall have been very satisfied with it. The 1st, a 2005 T&C, had a ramp rattle after a couple years, it did bug me but couldn't find a fix for it. My 2nd is a 2016 Sienna, and it is worlds above in terms of ride quality, there has been no hint of a ramp rattle yet. I test rode in all 3 brands, Dodge/Honda/Toyota, the Dodge still rode like a truck and was louder than the other two. The Honda was the quietest, the Toyota is the quickest and almost as quiet. It came down to cup holders, in the higher end models, the Honda has zero front cup holders as they were all in the console. The Toyota has 2 that pop out of the dash, they're not the greatest, but they work.

The ramp angle of the new one is wooooorlds better than the old one. Being a para, I can even wheel up it with the kneeling system off. My model is the "XT" conversion, which I think has a lower floor than other models, which means a lower ramp angle. Also has better headroom inside. One issue, with a transfer base on the driver side, it is a bit of an uphill transfer, kind of a pain. I asked if there was a way to lower it, they said no. I saw in another thread where someone said they took off the OEM power base which lowered it, but I make use of the OEM base to get my seat in a good transfer position for rotating w/o rubbing the wall, so that solution won't work for me. It still has enough ground clearance to go over speed bumps and such.

The one thing they haven't figured out how to do, even a decade later, is how to have a good "power plug" solution for driver seat with a transfer base. The plug in the wall that is detachable, gets "disturbed" enough to keep showing the airbag light on the dash, pisses me off. It happened just a time of two in warranty, but now this week has been on constantly. In my old van, they finally had to hardwire it directly in the wall and remove the plug. Guess I'm going to have to do this with the new one too. Wonder how much this will cost me? C'mon Braun, get your act together!
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

yep, same here. its a seperate motor and pieces so u can keep it to adjust backrest.......i do the same thing. i read in another thread from pat that u can get a bracket to drop the transfer base 4 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    I'm on my 2nd Braun foldout minivan. Overall have been very satisfied with it. The 1st, a 2005 T&C, had a ramp rattle after a couple years, it did bug me but couldn't find a fix for it. My 2nd is a 2016 Sienna, and it is worlds above in terms of ride quality, there has been no hint of a ramp rattle yet. I test rode in all 3 brands, Dodge/Honda/Toyota, the Dodge still rode like a truck and was louder than the other two. The Honda was the quietest, the Toyota is the quickest and almost as quiet. It came down to cup holders, in the higher end models, the Honda has zero front cup holders as they were all in the console. The Toyota has 2 that pop out of the dash, they're not the greatest, but they work.

The ramp angle of the new one is wooooorlds better than the old one. Being a para, I can even wheel up it with the kneeling system off. My model is the "XT" conversion, which I think has a lower floor than other models, which means a lower ramp angle. Also has better headroom inside. One issue, with a transfer base on the driver side, it is a bit of an uphill transfer, kind of a pain. I asked if there was a way to lower it, they said no. I saw in another thread where someone said they took off the OEM power base which lowered it, but I make use of the OEM base to get my seat in a good transfer position for rotating w/o rubbing the wall, so that solution won't work for me. It still has enough ground clearance to go over speed bumps and such.

The one thing they haven't figured out how to do, even a decade later, is how to have a good "power plug" solution for driver seat with a transfer base. The plug in the wall that is detachable, gets "disturbed" enough to keep showing the airbag light on the dash, pisses me off. It happened just a time of two in warranty, but now this week has been on constantly. In my old van, they finally had to hardwire it directly in the wall and remove the plug. Guess I'm going to have to do this with the new one too. Wonder how much this will cost me? C'mon Braun, get your act together!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

There are two heights for the B&D ransfer heights McDuff. I had mine delivered a couple of weeks ago and the seat, at it's lowest position, was about two or three inches higher than my chair. No way could I transfer up to it. They said there was an adapter or something they use to lower it down for a manual chair user to transfer. They took it back and changed out the adapter. The seat will now lower to below my chair seat level ,21". Was told they use the higher configuration for those who transfer from a powerchair. So they lied to you McDuff or just don't know it'savailable.

Have an engine light on, the dealer said is was a recall for Chrysler. Chrysler dealership said that wasn't the case so am taking it in Monday to see if it's a Chrysler malfunction, Braun or the Dealer's aftermarket install of the base etc.. I was pretty disappointed, but not surprised they didn't check it out in the least. Their reputation in the disabled community isn't stellar to say the least. If it's a Chrysler and easy trip to them but if dealer it's a 100 mile trip to the big City and it's crowded freeway snarls. For myself, there are just too many doo dads to go wrong with these new vehicles. I know I won't use most of them. Not a fan of the hassle it takes to get the drivers seat in position to turn the seat and transfer into. Dang, tilt the back way forward, move the seat to a certain position, lower the seat, lower the transfer base then back the transfer base way back, turn the seat and transfer. I sure hope I can get used to all the steps it takes. My old VMI in-floor is turn the seat and transfer into it.