Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: access ideas for recessed lanai slider

I lowered the door by lowering the concrete. Wasn't as big a job as it may seem. The more time consuming part is adding to both interior and exterior walls to fill the gap that is created when you lower the door. I still wasn't happy with it because casters get caught in the track. Easy enough to wheelie over. But that's not always possible when you're carrying something, especially a drink.

Went with French doors. Wasn't initially a fan of French doors either. Because you have to be in the doorway to reach the handle but you can't close the door when you're in the doorway. There are a couple options to get around that problem. Install a door handle near the hinge side of the door. Install a cord around the door handle.

All problems solved. No ramp. No Track. Easy to close. Now I am a fan of French doors.
    Last edited by August West; 06-14-2019 at 07:27 PM.

I built a simple 1/4 inch plywood ramp for a very similar situation to get out my patio door. Mine is 1" lower than yours except into the house is another 1/2 inch that is managed by a bit of thump thump over the guides that hold the screen, then another bit over the guides that direct the patio door. The other simple fix if your ramp would need too much length is to put a chair sized platform outside the door, then a longer plywood ramp along your long wall. It is all about how much $ you want to spend, and when. My rather slip-shod ramp (3 ft) has served for 3 years. It ain't broke, so...

thx all. i think i will have pavers laid to raise the height. tetra in the mean time the platform is what im doing...............i did similiar for our condo, it was only an inch or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I built a simple 1/4 inch plywood ramp for a very similar situation to get out my patio door. Mine is 1" lower than yours except into the house is another 1/2 inch that is managed by a bit of thump thump over the guides that hold the screen, then another bit over the guides that direct the patio door. The other simple fix if your ramp would need too much length is to put a chair sized platform outside the door, then a longer plywood ramp along your long wall. It is all about how much $ you want to spend, and when. My rather slip-shod ramp (3 ft) has served for 3 years. It ain't broke, so...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I don't remember if I ordered from Discountramps.com or not, but here's a couple types I used.

For our patio door it's about a 2" drop and I just went with a shorty ramp, it's a kinda steep angle but works for me:
    https://www.discountramps.com/angled...-plate/p/TAEP/

My best friend has a 4" dropoff from his patio to back deck and I bought this hard foam ramp to leave there, because it's not permanent and he can move it easily. It holds up better than I was worried, and isn't bad to roll on, a little mushier than a hard ramp but not bad:
    https://www.discountramps.com/silver...-ramps/p/THFS/
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

thx mcd, but i want something i can easily navigate solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    I don't remember if I ordered from Discountramps.com or not, but here's a couple types I used.

For our patio door it's about a 2" drop and I just went with a shorty ramp, it's a kinda steep angle but works for me:
    https://www.discountramps.com/angled...-plate/p/TAEP/

My best friend has a 4" dropoff from his patio to back deck and I bought this hard foam ramp to leave there, because it's not permanent and he can move it easily. It holds up better than I was worried, and isn't bad to roll on, a little mushier than a hard ramp but not bad:
    https://www.discountramps.com/silver...-ramps/p/THFS/
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Building up the existing deck to finished floor level is the way to go, and pretty easily done.

Once the patio floor is built up to the level of the slider door, you will have to solve how to get out into the garden off of the patio floor through the screen door.

I have raised the patio on several houses. Each time I got quotes on pavers and quotes on concrete. Concrete was always much cheaper. You can tile it later if you allow for the tile thickness.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I have raised the patio on several houses. Each time I got quotes on pavers and quotes on concrete. Concrete was always much cheaper. You can tile it later if you allow for the tile thickness.
    good to know............i was concerned about it being a smallish job for concrete contractor.........will get quote both ways
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    this is a ramp i found online that i sectioned and screwed down on the sliding door.
    It was cheap like $30

all other outside doors (4) are paired french doors. The slider is more convenient so it's in the easiest entry spot.
    The company sells a bunch of these ramps which slide (laterally) into the next higher part so they can be pretty high) they are great for our purposes i'd say.
    I think i'll do this to the french doors in the breezeway. (which is where we keep our woodpile; it's a little difficult to pull the little red wagon over when it's loaded to spill!!)
    cute pup