Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: access ideas for recessed lanai slider

Once the floor is raised, you can build up the sod side of the screen door with dirt. It's only 2 inches which can be spread out making it hardly noticeable. That Florida St Augustine grass will fill in unbelievably fast.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    ..........Went with French doors. Wasn't initially a fan of French doors either. Because you have to be in the doorway to reach the handle but you can't close the door when you're in the doorway. There are a couple options to get around that problem. Install a door handle near the hinge side of the door. Install a cord around the door handle.
    All problems solved. No ramp. No Track. Easy to close. Now I am a fan of French doors.
    Ranch sliders only give you half the access and for that reason I have always preferred French doors and windows. Ours gives full access when only one door is opened and in the Summer with both opened and secured it is just great. I fitted hook latches to secure them open. Releasing them from inside is not a problem for me as I have a length of trellis batten that can slip through the gap and lift the hook free. To bring the door closed I use a telescoping boat hook with plastic head. Reach along the door, hook on the ball handle and pull or lever back on the door. Good fulcrum, no problems.
    I have hand and arm use so my remedy may not suit others.
    The boat hook came by way of my deceased BIL. I was going to toss it, after all when would I have use of such an item??
    How wrong could that be as it has served me well ever since. It fulfills plenty of other uses too, like when I transfer to my outside chair and have left something on the servery/table. Simply extend it to the required length and reach out.
    Prodding the wife to get her attention???

Similar item on Amazon- Star brite Boat Hook -Telescoping, Floating & Unbreakable- Extends from 4' to 8'

Images corrected for you J.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-18-2019 at 02:30 AM.