Thread: scratched foot, possible cellulitis?

scratched foot, possible cellulitis?

I scratched the outer side of my foot somehow a few days ago. The scratches are about 4 inches long and pretty narrow. There is redness around the area, covering about a third of the top of the foot. There is no pain (well, no sensation of course), no discharge, no abscess or blister, no fever, no streaky lines. The area might be warm.

If I go to urgent care, can I get some tips for diagnosing or treating this in people with spinal cord injury?
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 06-09-2019 at 07:50 AM.

I would definitely get it checked out. Cellulitis is not to be taken lightly, if it is.

Just going/went thru this. Had a scrape on the top of my knee, tiny little thing, no biggie it'll heal...

Well it didn't, just stayed open and kept leaking into my pants, and redness developed, but no streaks, just a red area. Still thinking it'll heal...

Weeks later, had an appt with wound Doc for a different reason and pointed it out to her. By this time the redness was wrapping around the side of the knee. Huh she says, you have cellulitis, just by looking at it. Great. And I pointed out a new 1" red circle that had formed about 2 inches up my leg, unconnected to the other redness, she was at a loss as to what/why.

14 day script for Bactrim, 3 week time til next appt(coming next week), redness is 98% gone, but not all gone. Both areas have "healed" so I guess the red circle was somehow connected to original cellulitis stuff.

Hopefully whoever you see has some knowledge of wounds/cellulitis as I have no idea how they would test/prove it, my Doc just knew it from sight. But as said above, it is bad stuff so don't let it get too far out of hand.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Well I went to Urgent Care and the nurse practitioner told me it was infected and prescribed a 7 day course of Keflex.

Keep your foot elevated as much as possible. Check your temperature at least 1X daily. If the redness continues to spread, you have to go back to the ED.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It does seem to be improving after 3 days on Keflex.

Is cellulitis like UTIs in that a course of antibiotic should last 14 days (or sometimes 10 days) instead of the usual 7 days? My prescription is for 7 days.

Whenever antibiotics are needed now, I make them do 10 day at least, but most my Docs are sci knowledgeable so they usually do it as a matter of course.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Whenever antibiotics are needed now, I make them do 10 day at least, but most my Docs are sci knowledgeable so they usually do it as a matter of course.
    Thanks. For UTIs I’ve seen this concept written in official places but not for cellulitis. Which is improving by the way I expect it will be a faint pink by the time the Keflex is done.

If it is still red after 7 days, then you need to contact NP or go back to urgent care and they will extend it. The reason longer for UTI's is if they are recurrent.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.