Thread: Leg angle?

Leg angle?

A bit of a subjective question, but is there a proper leg angle when sitting? I have adjustable legrests on my Permobil, and I often wonder if, when the legrests are tucked in as far as possible, if that is too much bend in my legs. It certainly makes things more compact!

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    A bit of a subjective question, but is there a proper leg angle when sitting? I have adjustable legrests on my Permobil, and I often wonder if, when the legrests are tucked in as far as possible, if that is too much bend in my legs. It certainly makes things more compact!

The physical and occupational therapists I have had recommend the rule of 90 degrees:
    A 90 degree bend in the hips.
    A 90 degree bend in the knees.
    A 90 degree bend in the ankle.

I would take a guess that most people in wheelchairs sit somewhere between 70 to 80 degrees at the knees.

I probably have a 70 degree bend at the knee or so (as in the angle between my thigh and lower leg is more acute than 90 degrees).

IMO keeping your legs tucked back and out of the way as far as possible is the best option to make your chair more maneuverable.

Unfortunately, my experience with two Permobil chairs (with tilt/recline/elevating foot rests) thus far, is that it is impossible to achieve a 90? bend at the knee. It is impossible to get the feet back sufficiently far. The area behind the heels is occupied by raised footplate around the heels, plus the central lifting post.

I think the 90 degree bend is a starting point, a guideline, rather than a hard and fast rule. How many able bodied people have you seen sitting with hips, knees, and ankles at 90 degrees. It really isn't a natural posture.