Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Lawn Power Tools / Accessibility Ideas

  1. #1
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000

    Lawn Power Tools / Accessibility Ideas

    Has anyone come up with a way to use lawn tools more easily? For example, when using my Echo Lawn Edger I have to edge a few feet, pick it up and put it in my lap, push forward, put it back down, edge a few more feet, etc. I repeat this process until I'm done. It takes 30-45 minutes to do my driveway and all the sidewalks around the house.

    I thought attaching something like a computer monitor holder to my chair and adjusting it to hold the lawn edger for me. Then come up with a way to keep the trigger pressed as I edge. I simply would just have to roll down the driveway and sidewalks with it running.

    Just curious if anyone out there has already come up with something?
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  2. #2
    I need to figure out an edger. I built a remote control lawn mower for the grass. It uses two invacare wheel chair motors and a 24v alternator to help keep the batteries charged.
    I'm now looking to build a remote control Zero turn mower. Don't need wheelchair motors just servos to operate the valves on the hydros.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    111
    While probably incredibly unsafe, I have resorted to using the weed whacker while sitting on my lawn mower. I don't need to edge because of how my driveway and sidewalk are laid out, but I have to weed whack around my house and fence. I have a fairly steep drop off on one side of my house since it is built into a hill and I wanted a walk-out (roll-out) basement. There is no way for me to physically roll along that hill, so my mower was the only option. I've got a Troy-Bilt Mustang 42 Zero-turn mower. With a lanyard on the weed whacker I am able to drive with one hand as I control the weed whacker with the other. I don't know your level of injury, but thankfully I have a strong upper body and full hand function or this method would not be possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bigtop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greater metropolitan Detroit area
    Posts
    359
    Gosh toastguard, I'd really like to see the set up you have on that. I have kind of the same problems and, it sounds like you have come up with an idea that might be worth trying to copy.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I need to figure out an edger. I built a remote control lawn mower for the grass. It uses two invacare wheel chair motors and a 24v alternator to help keep the batteries charged.
    I'm now looking to build a remote control Zero turn mower. Don't need wheelchair motors just servos to operate the valves on the hydros.
    Hi cfx,

    You'll have to show us some photos of your inventions. Sounds cool.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  6. #6
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    While probably incredibly unsafe, I have resorted to using the weed whacker while sitting on my lawn mower. I don't need to edge because of how my driveway and sidewalk are laid out, but I have to weed whack around my house and fence. I have a fairly steep drop off on one side of my house since it is built into a hill and I wanted a walk-out (roll-out) basement. There is no way for me to physically roll along that hill, so my mower was the only option. I've got a Troy-Bilt Mustang 42 Zero-turn mower. With a lanyard on the weed whacker I am able to drive with one hand as I control the weed whacker with the other. I don't know your level of injury, but thankfully I have a strong upper body and full hand function or this method would not be possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Hello, ToastGuard.

    I've done something similar while on my mower. However, haven't tried it with a lanyard attached to my weed eater. That would most likely help a lot. I agree with bigtop1. Would like to see some photos/videos of it in action.

    I'm paralyzed from mid-chest down, so balance is an issue at times.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  7. #7
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000
    Here's something I had done to make getting on and off my mower easier. I had handles welded to the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, AL USA
    Posts
    181
    I use B&D 18v NiCad battery powered weed eater, hedge trimmer, blower, baby chain saw, drills, sander, baby circular saw, and more. Bought most used or refurbished from Ebay, cheap. Light weight sissy tools, I call them but it's a "what ever it takes" kinda thing. Finally, someone (China) is making Lithium batts that will work in my tools. Will require a different charger. Amazon sells both.
    A little fear of China's lithium batts causing fire so may wait till my last 2 NiCads go bad.

    An old big Jazzy chair I rebuilt for outside dirty work gets me around in the yard. It's rough on my back due to basically no suspension but it gets the job done.
    Riding mower is rough on back and shoulders too. Looked at many zero turns but most have no suspension. Those with suspension are very expensive. Would like to hear others zero turn comments/experiences.
    Last edited by Gearhead; 06-14-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wording

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    111
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I will get a photo or video next time I mow. I did this past weekend, but didn't see this message.
    ResonantEcho, that weld job looks great. I took the easy way out and bought the attachment from the website below.
    https://stephen-sauceda-dj1p.squarespace.com/products/ I have the Troy Bilt one. For some reason i don't remember them being that expensive when i bought, but it has been a while, so maybe it was. It is nice to have the handles like what you have, but It also raises the floor, which makes the transfer up and down easier.
    I'll try to remember next time I'm mowing/weed whacking to take some photos and post on here.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southeast, USA
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    Here's something I had done to make getting on and off my mower easier. I had handles welded to the frame.
    What is your process of transferring on and off of this?

Similar Threads

  1. Lawn mower for power chair
    By egovaers in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 04:55 AM
  2. ROV Lawn Tractor?
    By TommySr in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
  3. The Trike Powered by Two Bosch Power Tools
    By PeteShick in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
  4. SCINetUSA Fundraising Tools/Ideas
    By Jim in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
  5. Be careful with the lawn tools
    By cavemuscle in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •