Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey for treatment of wound

UrgoClean dressings are not available in the USA. They are designed for removing slough and other necrotic (dead) tissue from the wound, which in my experience is also done well by MediHoney, ideally covered with a foam dressing. Neither is appropriate to use for deep (stage III and IV) pressure injuries though.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My docs used pieces of Medihoney when I had a Stage III wound on my bum back in 2012. They used that simultaneously with the wound vac for the first two weeks or so. Then it was just the wound vac for two months, nasty smelly little bugger.

I'm not sure how effective it was, seeing how I couldn't see my wound, but I healed as scheduled. I thought it was pretty cool, though. Not too helpful, I'm sorry.

We have switched to pieces of Medihoney patches. They are much easier for the daily dressing change which I'm doing as advised by clinic and visiting nurse. The sore is definitely getting smaller and not deeper, as measured by the clinic. A bit of barrier cream goes around the outside edge then I'm using Allevyn 6"x6" adhesive foam bandage or Biatain 7"x7". The Allevyn goes on much easier as the Biatain adhesive part can get wrinkles and is more awkward to handle, for me anyway.
    Thanks again for the comments. This is Ancientgimp's first major sore in about 45 years, so he's been somewhat lucky.

When I'm using Medihoney with dressings I have two favorites brands. One is the Allevyn padded dressings like you're using and the other is the 3M Tegaderm Foam Adhesive dressings. It can be tricky with the Medihoney when you first start using it. Here's to speedy healing!

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Sore is getting noticeably smaller each day. Will check out the 3M dressing. It would be great if there was a dressing with the medihoney already within - we're using the "sheet" kind where you cut off the size you need, or the one that looks like real honey - it's in a tube and tricky to stay in place before bandaging.
    A Ride Design rep visited our home last week and did both a pressure map of my husband while seated, in addition to 3D imaging of his current, old RD cushion. He thinks pressure mapping can be over-rated - can be one tool in a full seating evaluation. For instance, pressure areas can change each time someone is pushing chair, leaning back, pressure relieving, playing a sport, etc.

Glad to hear that the wound is healing.

I think that pressure mapping is just one tool in the tool box. Most seating evals will map you in a variety of positions and activities. It is difficult to do when one hs an open wound. You may want to see someone once the wound is healed.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.