Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boat lift or davit?

This is how we did my pontoon boat ramp

Simply a wooden ramp
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Had a pontoon when i was back on the praires, loved it, miss it... but pontoon wont cut the mustard off the west coast of vancouver island.

Not sure if a pot puller could lift the weight of you in a power chair. Any chance you could use a manual chair for going onto the boat? Since you are in Vancouver Island, you might want to check out this company in WA state and talk with them about the weight capacities of their pullers:

https://www.discoverybaymarinegear.com/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not sure if a pot puller could lift the weight of you in a power chair. Any chance you could use a manual chair for going onto the boat? Since you are in Vancouver Island, you might want to check out this company in WA state and talk with them about the weight capacities of their pullers:

https://www.discoverybaymarinegear.com/

(KLD)
    For sure, i'm full time manual chair. Just thought the option of tilt and the extra stability of the PC would be nice, but most definitely not necessary .

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I'll take a look, I was actually thinking crab/prawn puller. Olympia! You could helm your rig to Victoria and I could take a peak..
    Unfortunately that was before wheelchair. Sold it to a guy in Oregon a few years ago.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Lift on Boat

This is an Elkhorn pool lift I mounted on three different boats starting with a pontoon boat. I didn't want it mounted on the dock in case I wanted to get off somewhere else. The socket was custom made and is bolted with backing plates under the deck and 5200'd to the cockpit floor. There is a guide mounted on the gunnel. It would not lift a power chair but lifted me in my chair from the dock to the boat. I used the lift hanger and attached it to two lifting straps that went under the chair. I had to extend the lift piece that fits in the socket to clear the gunnel with the chair wheels. I had an old chair set up for fishing with a rod holder, rear wheels cambered and moved all the way back for stability. You could also use a Hoyer sling and an electric hoist motor. I used the manual pump from Elkhorn (which I stowed after getting on board) because I wasn't sure how the electric would hold up around salt water. Let me know if you have any questions.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    This is an Elkhorn pool lift I mounted on three different boats starting with a pontoon boat. I didn't want it mounted on the dock in case I wanted to get off somewhere else. The socket was custom made and is bolted with backing plates under the deck and 5200'd to the cockpit floor. There is a guide mounted on the gunnel. It would not lift a power chair but lifted me in my chair from the dock to the boat. I used the lift hanger and attached it to two lifting straps that went under the chair. I had to extend the lift piece that fits in the socket to clear the gunnel with the chair wheels. I had an old chair set up for fishing with a rod holder, rear wheels cambered and moved all the way back for stability. You could also use a Hoyer sling and an electric hoist motor. I used the manual pump from Elkhorn (which I stowed after getting on board) because I wasn't sure how the electric would hold up around salt water. Let me know if you have any questions.
    That is one cool device, I so miss boating, it was once my greatest joy, hard to believe I'll never get on again, sold most of my gear for a song, the rest I offered to my neighbors and they literally know kid my fence down getting to it first.
    nice.

I know what you mean. This is the second season without the boat and we miss all the fun. Every trip was an adventure. Certainly cheaper to go out to dinner or find a good fish market but the memories are priceless.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    That's the shit right there! Have you got a pic of the whole unit?

Lift

I never did take a picture of the lift hoisting the chair. I used this one, the Elkhorn, but had to get a welder to make a longer vertical pipe. If the pump is not above the gunnel you will have to mount it further into the boat taking up more space. If your gunnels are lower it isn't a problem. They have a surface mount socket that looks similiar to the one I used. You could use the sling seat that comes with it. I wanted to stay in my chair so I got two lifting straps that went under my chair and attached to the hanger for the lift. You can see one of them under my chair in the picture and I can provide a better description if you are interested. I removed the hydraulic pump after getting on board so it would not be swinging around.