Thread: Has anyone rebuilt their wheelchair motor, or sent one out to be rebuilt?

Has anyone rebuilt their wheelchair motor, or sent one out to be rebuilt?

Looks like there's a place called Eurton Electric that can do this, according to YouTube. Has anyone used them, or any other place like this?

Back story: I'm trying to keep my old Permobil Chairman Entra going. One of the motors is going out, so I ordered from Permobil what's apparently the very last new Entra motor in stock in the known universe.

After the new motor was installed, the chair worked great for 4 days. Then I got a weird "two-click" thing happening. As I'm moving forward the chair clicks once, then rolls along for 20-30 feet or so, then makes another resolving click, and then keeps rolling along just fine, sometimes repeating the sequence. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm rolling straight or turning. It's worse in the morning after the chair has sat for a while. It usually goes away if I'm continually moving around during the day, but will start up again if I sit still for a while. It sort of sounds like something is loose and then gets resolved, always with the same set of two clicks/knocks (already replaced caster/fork bearings, so it's not that). In every other way the chair is still working fine. No hitch or jerking in the joystick, etc.

So I'm thinking about trying to repair the new motor, as well as the old motor, since they don't make them anymore. Any ideas?

With a little legwork you may hit the jackpot

Piqued my curiosity, so googled: "Were to purchase new or rebuilt Permobil Chairman Entra Wheelchair Motors "it came up with a lot of parts, wheelchairs, rebuild and used motors that you may be able to use.

Perhaps you can find a rebuilt motor and get a 30 day warranty, so you can ship it back after testing a part. Look around or keep your ears open to buy a used dilapidated chair and cannibalize it.

Try a local Center for Independent living, a Salvation Army, and ask everybody who doesn't have it "Where to look or who to ask." Find different rehab centers or hospitals with PTs and ask them.Somewhere some plays old wheelchairs go to die, you just need to find it before the coroner crashes it for scrap.

Would recommend that you spend 1 or 2 hour on the Internet and phone may find you a way,

Good luck
    Last edited by Cris; 06-09-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Try asking here http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/index.php you will get a lot of info on motors.

Had a similar noise in my small travel chair (not Permobil). My problem was brake release lever on motor wasn't fully engaged. It looked like it was and I hadn't released it in long time.
    Disengage brake lever (AKA freewheel lever) then re engage. Hope that's the problem.
    If that doesn't fix, I would make sure motor and wheel was installed proper.
    Also some motors have a cush coupling between motor and gears. SOMETIMES, but not always, if it is bad you'll notice clicks and slack in motor when moving joystick fwd/rev. If bad, motor will need repair soon because it can cause lock up.
    Azalea Health Care in Mobile, AL rebuilds motors but I'd think you can find others closer to you.