Thread: Replacing bearings after roll in swimming pool?

Replacing bearings after roll in swimming pool?

It's been a few years since I've rolled my chair into a roll in swimming pool, which submerged my casters but not my rear axle. I obviously had to replace the caster and fork bearings, but can't remember how long it took for them to start giving me problems. I'm going to a water park soon and had a few questions.

1. For anyone that has taken their chair in a swimming pool, how long did the bearings last afterward?

2. Has anyone submerged their rear wheels/bearings before? If so, did you have to eventually change the bearings out and can you even do that with spinergy (lx) wheels for that matter?

Replacing bearings isn't a problem for me I'm just trying to figure out which ones and how soon to order them.

I don't know the amount of time you have. But do it soon. Mine corroded and the fork had to be hammered off the stem. I didn't even take it into a pool. It was just from an outdoor shower by the pool. Even after hammering the fork off the stem, the bearings would not come out. I'm not sure what it would have taken to get the bearings out. Because I just ordered a fork assembly. The way the caster and rear wheel bearings are located, they are easier to remove. It is the fork bearings that are difficult to remove.

A good measure is to spray the bearings with WD40 everytime they get wet. Remember that WD stands for water displacement.

I bought both the fork/rear wheel bearings (same size) and the caster bearings on Amazon.

I think I had to hammer my forks off last time as well. I can't remember how long it took for the bearings to corrode though. Wondering if I swap them out within a few days after getting them wet if they will come off easier than waiting weeks, or if they are going to corrode within a few days anyway...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take the seals out of the bearings (you can do this without removing them from the chair) jam them full of "plumbers grease". You can get it at a pool place or some hardware stores. Coat bolts, axle pins, etc with it. ORRR as soon as you get out of pool, do the WD40 hosing off of everything. OOOr rent/find a cheap hospital chair to use in the pool.

Taking it a step further you could replace all the bearings and hardware with stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    It's been a few years since I've rolled my chair into a roll in swimming pool, which submerged my casters but not my rear axle. I obviously had to replace the caster and fork bearings, but can't remember how long it took for them to start giving me problems. I'm going to a water park soon and had a few questions.

1. For anyone that has taken their chair in a swimming pool, how long did the bearings last afterward?

2. Has anyone submerged their rear wheels/bearings before? If so, did you have to eventually change the bearings out and can you even do that with spinergy (lx) wheels for that matter?

Replacing bearings isn't a problem for me I'm just trying to figure out which ones and how soon to order them.
    Smearing a thin layer of grease/anti-seize on the outer edge of the bearing, or inside the pocket when installing will make removal easier. I've been having good luck with Enduro ceramic hybrid rear bearings. Page 2 has the R8 https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...eramic-hybrid/

Grade 5 Ti fasteners are great for replacing factory steel, no more rust.