Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food: probably the least interest of this sci

Blog Entries

Food: probably the least interest of this sci

How can you embrace something you only follow with laxatives ?

you don't embrace it, Tim, yo put it in your mouth. This from someone who is chronically underweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    How can you embrace something you only follow with laxatives ?
    I really like food, and my NL is a great cook, I know and understand that I am a lucky man, and I am skinny body type too. Maybe you don't have that enjoyment in your life. But, why are you associating the joy of eating with laxatives/elimination? Maybe you need to think about adjusting your perceptions. Eating is a joy, elimination of waste is a natural process that follows eating. If a laxative helps this process...well it just does. Maybe, as the Jimmy Buffet song goes and to paraphrase, you need a change in attitude, a change in latitude.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-09-2019 at 02:07 AM.

I have little feeling, navel to tits so I rarely full hunger. I have to make myself eat. BM every 3 days, if not, I take stool softener on day 3, day 4 have BM (painful at times). I looked at med side effects and gradually removed as many as possible that caused constipation. I eat as much fruit/melon, salads, cereal and milk as I can. Took me several years to learn bowel management. Main thing is intake (food,meds). What goes in determines what comes out and how difficult it is to get out. Just my situation and maybe something to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I have little feeling, navel to tits so I rarely full hunger. I have to make myself eat. BM every 3 days, if not, I take stool softener on day 3, day 4 have BM (painful at times). I looked at med side effects and gradually removed as many as possible that caused constipation. I eat as much fruit/melon, salads, cereal and milk as I can. Took me several years to learn bowel management. Main thing is intake (food,meds). What goes in determines what comes out and how difficult it is to get out. Just my situation and maybe something to help.
    As I understand hunger response in humans, it is the hypothalamus that regulates hunger and the hypothalamus responds to glucose levels, not nerve signals. So even though nerve signals and pathways are damaged, people who are paralyzed experience hunger. I don't know if I buy into that you don't experience hunger because of your paralysis. Many people who are not paralyzed are not particularly as good of eaters as others and report they have to think about or make themselves eat. I have a couple able bodied friends who just really don't think much about food, and eat to live, not live to eat.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-09-2019 at 10:59 PM.

before sci wt not a problem as long as I was senable now..... that why I like the fast thing and I am constantly figuring out how to satify sweet tooth with little calories.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    As I understand hunger response in humans, it is the hypothalamus that regulates hunger and the hypothalamus responds to glucose levels, not nerve signals. So even though nerve signals and pathways are damaged, people who are paralyzed experience hunger. I don't know if I buy into that you don't experience hunger because of your paralysis. Many people who are not paralyzed are not particularly as good of eaters as others and report they have to think about or make themselves eat. I have a couple able bodied friends who just really don't think much about food, and eat to live, not live to eat.
    All I know is pre injury, my stomach would feel hunger, post injury it doesn't. Glucose level has always been normal.

Blog Entries
    I like your response, yet I don't know what an "NL" is?
    I also have been thin all my life, now I'm barely 130.
    I made the association tongue and cheek as it's kind of a cause & effect thing....the more you eat the more you poop, no?
    I guess I always viewed food as fuel, albeit good food is like premium fuel....but the by products are still the same.

Blog Entries
    Maybe his hypothalamus is more hypo than hyper?

Blog Entries
    Uh, me too gear, we got paralyzing issues.