Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any remote workers?

I've worked from home self employed as a consultant in the cycle industry. Provide advise on design/production/marketing and brand. Primarily for one company although I just branched out into doing market research on electric scooters which is a rapidly growing market, luckily using similar suppliers as the cycle industry.

I can do most of it from bed when I have a pressure sore, travel to trade shows when needed as well as events. It can be awkward, I did my first electric scooter report and the client wanted me to present it but I had a pressure sore, did the presentation vis Skype using the screen share. It was obviously appreciated as they paid me double the agreed fee for the work.

Use Skype text for the majority of conversation as I don't speak very well because of the vent. Obvious difficulties because of a C3 complete injury but my clients understand that.

It won't continue forever, I can't travel internationally and am losing contacts, at some point I won't be able to give up to date advice. At that point I will probably retire.

Telecommute agreement.

Part of my telecommuting every year is that I have fill out and get approved by my branch chief a telecommute agreement. One element of the telecommute agreement is you have to take on more assignments to keep you busy. Another element is you have to attend important meetings.

Today at NASA Glenn we had a Town Hall meeting with director Dr. Janet Kavandi (Space Shuttle astronaut and Astronaut Hall of Fame) and NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. I was in attendance today. (I'm easy to spot!).

At 9:20 is a new NASA video and at 25:00 Administrator Jim Bridenstine answers the Trump question that President Trump tweeted on Friday.

This why NASA is such an exciting place to work. This is what gets me out of bed every morning.

As we say at NASA, "We Have Friends in High Places."

More answers tomorrow.

Move back to 00:00 to start Town Hall meeting.

We are going!

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 06-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Great video Ti, thank you. However I still do not understand why they think it is necessary to stop off at the moon in order to get to mars. To me it seems to be an unnecessary out of the way stop. Is there secret fuel there or something else they haven't shared? You live in Ohio, why would you fly to Miami for every trip to London? Just go direct to mars. What info did I miss?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

No!

Quote Originally Posted by smity50 View Post
    edit off topic response.
    No!

nonoise asked a question about a meeting I had as part of telecommute. Part of my telecommute agreements states I must attend all important meetings. I did.

When your telecommute you don't work at home 100% of the time. You do have to come in for certain activities.

Other elements of my telecommute agreement are:

- Telecommuting requests will be approved only if it will benefit the NASA Glenn Research Center.
    - Employee participation in the program is voluntary.
    - Telecommuting cannot be used as a substitute for dependent care.
    - Either party can cancel telecommuting work arrangements at any time.
    - Telecommuting must not adversely affect the performance of the employee in the program or others in the work group.

There are more.

Going to the moon will be a testbed for going to Mars as explained in the Town Hall meeting by Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I'm a C6 quad in So. Cal and work at Jet Propulsion Laboratory/NASA and they allow me to telecommute when needed.

Jeff

I have worked from home since the 90 I amd a trucker I secure loads driver problem solve sometime get my rear chewd out too

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I really enjoy reading them. It gives me some hope and motivation.

I looked at USAJOBS and Schedule A hiring recently but was discouraged since getting a federal job with 100% telecommuting seems highly unlikely. (My living situation is complicated so I'm pretty much home-bound.)

Last time I contacted my local department of vocational services, they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview, which I was unable to do. Do they all require in-person interviews?

I'm only a few credits away from finishing my computer science degree but I've been sitting on that for over 2 years due to demoralization. A degree isn't even necessary to do well in this field, and even able-bodied, fresh graduates have a tough time finding a job, I've heard. Or I might just be making excuses for the funk I'm in.

Thanks to your stories, though, I'm motivated enough to try United Spinal Association's peer mentor program to help me with employment.

I (C5 complete) am a tenured associate professor, and work from home 95% of the time teaching online classes. It has been that way for the last 2 years. My university bought me one of these for attending on-campus meetings: https://www.doublerobotics.com/

I think it is easier to work remotely once you have worked for a company on-site for a while. Many companies are leery about hiring off-site employees which they have not seen perform in an supervised setting before.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Computer programmer, Ball Aerospace. I'm free to work remotely as long as I get my work done.