Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any remote workers?

Any remote workers?

Hi! I was wondering if there are any folks here who work remotely or at home and what y'all do. Curious and hoping to get some ideas for myself. I've loafed for 10 years since my injury and now that I'm getting on in years, I feel like my window to ever be gainfully employed is closing. :|

Telecommute.

I telecommute. I am an electrical designer for NASA Glenn and I've earned the privilege to telecommute. NASA last year purchased me a complete computer workstation with 25" flat screen for home to do my work on. I VPN into the NASA network to retrieve my work assignments. I use AutoCAD 2020 to do my computer-aided-design (CAD) drawings for my engineers and customers. I also do 3D, solid modeling and AutoLisp programming. All my training was through Lorain County Community College and The University of Akron. I telecommute when my work loads are heavy sometimes week after week and there are days I drive into the center. I've been with NASA going on 27 years now and there's never been a day that is a dull moment.

I have been telecommuting over 10 years now. To telecommute is a game changer for people with disabilities. You don't have that rush in the morning to be at work on time.

Two hot career fields to get into now are circuit board designing and Digital Fabrication which both fields the design work can be done at home.

Through the Department of Justice people with disabilities have now options for employment such as "customized employment."

On behalf of the President, Vice President Mike Pence directed NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine to accelerate the agency?s lunar exploration plans during a National Space Council meeting held at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama, March 26, 2019.

NASA's #Moon2Mars update.

Move this video back to 00:00:00, the start.

President Trump signed the New Space Directive 1 on December 11, 2017 with our new mission of returning to the Moon and then to Mars. I may being going back to university to study Digital Fabrication this fall.

Here's a picture of me at the center. Behind me is the Thrust Vector Control Rig. This photo was used in the first issue of DIVERSEability Magazine.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I telecommute. I am an electrical designer for NASA Glenn and I've earned the privilege to telecommute. NASA last year purchased me a complete computer workstation with 25" flat screen for home to do my work on. I VPN into the NASA network to retrieve my work assignments. I use AutoCAD 2020 to do my computer-aided-design (CAD) drawings for my engineers and customers. I also do 3D, solid modeling and AutoLisp programming. All my training was through Lorain County Community College and The University of Akron. I telecommute when my work loads are heavy sometimes week after week and there are days I drive into the center. I've been with NASA going on 27 years now and there's never been a day that is a dull moment.

I have been telecommuting over 10 years now. To telecommute is a game changer for people with disabilities. You don't have that rush in the morning to be at work on time.

Two hot career fields to get into now are circuit board designing and Digital Fabrication which both fields the design work can be done at home.

Through the Department of Justice people with disabilities have now options for employment such as "customized employment."

On behalf of the President, Vice President Mike Pence directed NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine to accelerate the agency?s lunar exploration plans during a National Space Council meeting held at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama, March 26, 2019.

NASA's #Moon2Mars update.

Move this video back to 00:00:00, the start.

President Trump signed the New Space Directive 1 on December 11, 2017 with our new mission of returning to the Moon and then to Mars. I may being going back to university to study Digital Fabrication this fall.

Here's a picture of me at the center. Behind me is the Thrust Vector Control Rig. This photo was used in the first issue of DIVERSEability Magazine.

Ti
    From Trump..

"For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago," he wrote. "They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!"

The tweet came one day after NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told USA Today that the space agency will not be able to land astronauts on the moon by 2024 unless Congress approves the Trump administration's $1.6 billion budget increase request for the project.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    From Trump..

"For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago," he wrote. "They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!"

The tweet came one day after NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told USA Today that the space agency will not be able to land astronauts on the moon by 2024 unless Congress approves the Trump administration's $1.6 billion budget increase request for the project.
    NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine will be at NASA Glenn on Monday to talk to employees. Trump also said he will give NASA more funds to go to Mars. I'll know more on Monday.

Ti

Should we split this discussion into one about remote/telecommuting and another for the Politics forum? It seems to have gone off-topic...

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Iolas View Post
    Hi! I was wondering if there are any folks here who work remotely or at home and what y'all do. Curious and hoping to get some ideas for myself. I've loafed for 10 years since my injury and now that I'm getting on in years, I feel like my window to ever be gainfully employed is closing. :|
    If you've got patience, a gift of gab and a video enabled computer -- corporate recruiter might be an option.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Should we split this discussion into one about remote/telecommuting and another for the Politics forum? It seems to have gone off-topic...

(KLD)
    No.

For those who work and telecommute or work at home, share your experience.

I was 25 years old when I got injured at burst C6/C7 and I made some smart choices back then. I saw there were millions of dollars for people with disabilities to go back to college for free and get into accessible career. Many of those millions of dollars went unspent each year so I decided to spend some of it. I spent a lot of The State of Ohio tax dollars and federal tax dollars and earned three degrees along the way. I broke out of the cycle of SSDI and chose to work. I didn't know I would end up working for NASA. What I earned in a month on SSDI I make in a day now (with benefits).

I enjoy what I do and when I turn on Aerospace Parkway and enter the federal reservation of NASA Glenn there's a spark of energy that goes off inside of me that keeps me going. The day that spark extinguishes is the day I put in my retirement papers until then NASA is an exciting place to work.

Work gives you purpose and meaning in life.

I was just an ordinary young man, no one special or privilege. My father didn't give Lorain County Community College or The University of Akron $250,000 dollars for me to be admitted. I just applied and got in. I studied hard and I didn't quit. I may have to go back to university this fall.

I encourage anyone who wants to go back to work spend those tax dollars and apply with the federal government at www.usajobs.gov. The US government is very flexible with people/employees with disabilities. This is the only place you do have to disclose you have a disability because you are brought aboard by a special hiring authority otherwise you will be process as a regular person. So, please check the box where is asks about disability. Outside the US government I would not disclose that I am a person with a disability until a date and time is setup for an interview. I learned that when I first started job hunting.

For those of you who do not know what Digital Fabrication is. It is the use of CAD, CNC and 3D printing technologies combined together to make a object instantly or on demand manufacturing.

Here's examples of Digital Fabrication.

Former President Bill Clinton said, "If you are able to work, you should work."

Come on people! Share your experiences.

Ti

Blog Entries
    that?s a great inspiring story ,
    i?m envious of those with SCI that don?t also suffer debilitating pain in their limbs as a result
    I encourage more people to write their experiences here as well

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    No. I really enjoyed Ti's post.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 06-10-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

Ti
    Wow! Was that legit your desk or just set there for the photo op? Either way I'm super jealous. That thing is cool to look at on a computer screen, I'm sure it was awesome actually working on it.