Thread: House on stilts Ramp build

House on stilts Ramp build

My wife and I were deciding on building on to our house that would be in Galveston Texas on the ocean. We were trying to make it a stairless house that would be built around the ramp going from the ground floor up to the 2nd floor (which is actually the 1st floor because it's on stilts) that would this be possible to build?
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Typical floor elevations are 8'. Typical ramp rise/run is 1' of run per inch of elevation. So you'd need approximately 96' of ramp to go up one floor. If you use a powerchair you could lessen the rise/run, if allowed by local code enforcement. Still, you're talking a lot of ramp, not including landings.

You will need a REALLY long ramp. Given that the ground to floor level for a second story is usually 10', and a ramp must have a rise of no more than 1" per foot, you would need at least a 120ft. ramp, plus landings for turns (switchbacks and rest areas). In addition, it would need to be made of materials and constructed in a strong way so that it would not be washed away in storm surge. How about an elevator instead?

I found a few photos of houses where this was done, in fact the last one is from a house in Galveston as well (4118 Barataria Ct, Galveston, TX 77554).

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Here is a bad design. Don't do something like this:

http://www.universaldesignstyle.com/...style-case-30/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Elevator seems like the best way to go. Built on exterior and enclosed, adding a faux chimney to the top would look cool. Elevator under house might be cheaper.

I live on coast big bend country water is 40 feet from house. I am 20 feet high no ramp do not get an enclosed elevator. you wil get stuck. they are so small and if a quad the accordian doors are impossible to shut
    ihave an outdoor elevator. I have been stcuck several times. but they can get to you undo the back and get you out even 15 20 in air I can also stop it where ever I want if when I build a 2nd floor porch no extra for a door I just have to a place to open door cost was 175003 years also what is polular here is the legacy its for cargo but everone uses them my sis and brother have them sis is 8 foot brother is 23 feet they are really nice 5x4 my sis was about 10k my brother about 13k wind rate about 140 highly recommed these if yu like I can send pictures

fyi micheal took out almost everyones stairs mine were still here my eleavator was minor damage but was running the next day I had an plug in where I could plug it into my generator that ramp will cost u as much almost as a legacy
    Last edited by vjls; 06-08-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: left out

This will not pass code, but you might be able to install after all permits approved. Internally, people have installed a simple 'elevator" powered by a correctly weighted counterweight. This takes barely more room than an elevator and works when the power is off.

I really don't like the idea of using an elevator because of the power outage problem, and maintenance. Since I do use an electric chair, An Invacare m300 fulltilt/recline, I've always been better off using ramps. It's an idea that where trying To start narrowing down. Were going to be moving around next fall from here in Arlington Texas to Galveston Island. Her parents have a beach house down there that they use as a rental property so we have always been lucky to go down there when it's not be rented out.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    I really don't like the idea of using an elevator because of the power outage problem, and maintenance. Since I do use an electric chair, An Invacare m300 fulltilt/recline, I've always been better off using ramps. It's an idea that where trying To start narrowing down. Were going to be moving around next fall from here in Arlington Texas to Galveston Island. Her parents have a beach house down there that they use as a rental property so we have always been lucky to go down there when it's not be rented out.
    I have a propane generator and can plug my outdoor elavotor in and it does fine looking to get a solar power generator this year my propanr gen is electric start so I can fire it up.

fyi on permits here if they catch you and they do a lot of people building stuff especially here on the coast fines are double you have to have an engineer stamp its nuts but micheal did a number

just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    If you have the space available on the property it can certainly be done with a ramp system. Just going to be a lot of switchbacks and landings. Install a bunch of piles and build off them. You'd probably want to hire an architect familiar with this process, mainly for appearance purposes.