Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: They finally delivered my new wheelchair

They finally delivered my new wheelchair

After 2+ years, they finally delivered my wheelchair. Everything seems fine except one thing. They painted the titanium black. It looks pretty cool. But that paint is never going to hold up. Last time I had a painted chair must have been over 20 years ago. Part of me wants to keep it. But the other part of me knows better.

ummm... Let's see it.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

The DME took it back. They gave me the weekend to think about keeping it or sending it back to TiLite to exchange for a titanium finish.

Does anyone have a painted chair that looks good anymore? I mean if someone could convince me that it can be done, then maybe I'll keep it. Because it does look good. But I doubt the paint will look good for long. If I keep it, it would have to be well maintained. Can't have a new chair looking old. Maybe I'll get a paint kit and start a new hobby. LOL.
    Last edited by August West; 06-07-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Time for another consult with your DME. Was the chair order correct? If it went in ordering Black then you are dependent on the DME to correct this, which, given how things went, could delay your having a chair quite a while. If Tilite made the error- pfft! They will correct it quickly.

Ironically, when going through the order form, the question of the finish came up and I said, "who would paint a titanium chair?" We both laughed and then discussed if the finish should be polished or satin. But somehow the order form says black finish. I did select black for the trim anodization color. Maybe that is the mixup.

Unless you get guards to put on the front of your chair the paint will not last long. I recommend going back and getting titanium as you want your chair looking nice and that is what you selected. The DME wants you to keep it so they don’t have to eat the cost of the new frame for the mistake as it is on them and not tilite. However , that is on them and they will just have to accept the cost and use it as a demo. This is what you are going to sit in for at least 5 years.

August,
    I am in the process of ordering a new chair paid through Medicare. I am very grateful for being able to read experiences like yours. I already knew to double check my order before it goes in and your post only strengthens my vigilance. My DME promised several things with that "oh, it's so easy" voice and I will make sure those things are written down in a contract before they get a nickel.

it sounds like your DME was too inexperienced to know to check the box for "brushed satin" titanium. Lots of people paint titanium chairs. It would not be my choice.

Vigilance only goes so far. There are some things that you have to trust. For example, we agreed on a TR3 so why did the order form say Aero T? He said something about TR3 orders have to be processed as an Aero T. I recall the same thing happening 5 years ago with the order for the TR3 I am in right now. In fact, this TR3 says AERO T right on it. If that's the way they have to process the order, then that's fine with me as long as I get a TR3. Last time I did get a TR3. This time they sent an AERO T. So what do you do? How vigilent can you possibly be?

Send it back, no matter how careful you are someone else will scratch it, taxi drivers, airport staff, a friend loading loading it in the car .... and the scratches will stand out as the primer is no doubt white and the metal will show through.

Blog Entries
    TiLite only has one order form for their "T" line of chairs. The base chair is the Aero T, aluminum tube, fully adjustable model. Order form option TAFS1 upgrades this frame to a TRA, titanium tube, fully adjustable model. Adding option TRFS1 to that will change the frame to a TR (v.3), titanium tube, minimal adjustsbility. Two things are most likely IMO: DME meant that all T chairs start as Aero T on order form, but get upgrades via options to a TR, or, they meant it had to be submitted as an Aero T because...drum roll please...the Jan 2018 unbundling rules came out during the middle of your process (since its been years) changing their ability to select the TR titanium option.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Vigilance only goes so far. There are some things that you have to trust. For example, we agreed on a TR3 so why did the order form say Aero T? He said something about TR3 orders have to be processed as an Aero T. I recall the same thing happening 5 years ago with the order for the TR3 I am in right now. In fact, this TR3 says AERO T right on it. If that's the way they have to process the order, then that's fine with me as long as I get a TR3. Last time I did get a TR3. This time they sent an AERO T. So what do you do? How vigilent can you possibly be?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments