Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Drivers who drive from a Permobil F5 chair

  1. #1

    Drivers who drive from a Permobil F5 chair

    Hi everyone!
    I am relatively new to the Permobil F5 wheelchair, I had the ez-lock bracket and bolt put on my F5 chair so that I could drive using my existing ez-lock system. The problem is there is very little ground clearance under the bolt and I get hung up on everything. Ez-locks answer was a lift kit which raised the chair but in doing so drastically changed the way the chair functioned. So I took everything off the chair. I just got a new van, but don't want to use the ez-lock system. I have looked at the Q'S Straint QLK 150, on line only.
    Has anyone had any experience with the Permobil F5 wheelchair and the Q'S Straint QLK 150 system, or any other system that works with the F5 chair? Thank you!!

  2. #2
    Sorry, have used only the EZ-lock and you are correct it sucks. I have trouble over threshold at front doors and could plow a field because their bolt is so low!
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

  3. #3
    Can your EZ Lock tie-down be raised? With my mother's Permobil chair they did this in the van and it took care of the problem of having the bolt having to be set so low. They installed a metal block under the EZ Lock.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, AL USA
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Can your EZ Lock tie-down be raised? With my mother's Permobil chair they did this in the van and it took care of the problem of having the bolt having to be set so low. They installed a metal block under the EZ Lock.

    (KLD)
    That sounds more practical.
    Raising chair height? How do they do that? That would affect everything in home that you need to get under. Would not be my choice. Everyone complains about M/F 3/5 chairs with EZ lock.

  5. #5
    Could they make a switch to raise the bolt when not in use? Then lower it down when you needed to use it?
    Art

  6. #6
    They did raise the ez-lock box using spacers only after the raised the suspension on chair using a lift kit. It raised the chair and bolt about an inch, but that changed the torque of the chair. I could barely get up the ramp into my van. I would have to get a running start, forget it if it was raining, I would get a quarter way up the ramp ad sit there with the wheels spinning. I spent yesterday on the phone with Permobil and ez-lock, they both said they know there is a problem with the F5. Permobil used to sell their own docking system with a retractable bolt but stopped manufacturing it a few years ago. So far from the research I have done it looks like the Q'S Straint might be my best bet. I'll let you know in a few weeks. Thanks!!

  7. #7
    I have a Dahl locking system and was told that would be the best with my F5. I don't have major issues with it, except obviously it somewhat lowers the clearance of my 'chair so it's easier to bottom out e.g over ramps which change from up to down without a flat portion.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Domosoyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,013
    Following this thread as my daughter has an F5 and her Learner's Permit. We currently do not have a docking system but will need one obviously.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I am relatively new to the Permobil F5 wheelchair, I had the ez-lock bracket and bolt put on my F5 chair so that I could drive using my existing ez-lock system. The problem is there is very little ground clearance under the bolt and I get hung up on everything. Ez-locks answer was a lift kit which raised the chair but in doing so drastically changed the way the chair functioned. So I took everything off the chair. I just got a new van, but don't want to use the ez-lock system. I have looked at the Q'S Straint QLK 150, on line only.
    Has anyone had any experience with the Permobil F5 wheelchair and the Q'S Straint QLK 150 system, or any other system that works with the F5 chair? Thank you!!

    Q'S Straint QLK 150 is similar to a ez-lock so ground clearance will be the same.

    Its more of a is what it is. The Permobil F5 has very little ground clearance making the fitment position critical.

    These wheelchairs make for a vert tight fit and poor placement will make life more miserable than it needs to be.

    jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    They did raise the ez-lock box using spacers only after the raised the suspension on chair using a lift kit. It raised the chair and bolt about an inch, but that changed the torque of the chair. I could barely get up the ramp into my van. I would have to get a running start, forget it if it was raining, I would get a quarter way up the ramp ad sit there with the wheels spinning. I spent yesterday on the phone with Permobil and ez-lock, they both said they know there is a problem with the F5. Permobil used to sell their own docking system with a retractable bolt but stopped manufacturing it a few years ago. So far from the research I have done it looks like the Q'S Straint might be my best bet. I'll let you know in a few weeks. Thanks!!
    We put one one Permobil lock in because a customer insisted on it.

    I'd never do another one even if the customer insisted on it.

    Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM
  2. Urgent notice for Permobil chair drivers
    By Ironside in forum Equipment
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-17-2017, 01:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM
  4. NEED HELP!! My Permobil Wont Drive?? please help
    By permobilcruiser in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
  5. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •