Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making my Frog Legs casters roll better

Making my Frog Legs casters roll better

I ordered my TiLte TR with the caster option of, "Plastic Wheel w/Poly Tire", which many of us know is a Frog Leg caster. These casters have never spun well if you lift the front and spin the casters; now I find one spins a little better than the other, basically one has little to no spin at all to it.

If I order Frog Legs aluminum versions, or maybe their new Lexans, will these roll better or can I expect them to be just the same, just having a nicer rim?

If they are the same, I suspect I'd be better off just ordering better bearings? If this is true, can someone give suggestions? (I know there have been a number of threads on bearings.)
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

question

do they make it that much easier? my son c5/c6 has a difficult time with rough pathways horrific spasms and I was hoping they would make a big difference but the expense is a concern if I am not sure they will help.

Hi new, I believe you may be asking a different question, that is, about Frog Leg suspension forks? If so, there are varied opinions, I think they work well, others do not, but if that is your question, refer to this thread. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133398

I am specifically asking about making my current casters roll better or replace the casters completely to those that will roll better, as it seems I feel some drag recently.

The aluminum hub soft roll caster will roll much better because the more exact tolerances keep the bearings precisely aligned which reduces friction. The recess for the bearings molded into a composite hub will also deform over time. It is similar to the difference between the hubs on those plastic 7 spoke "mag" rear wheel and a Spinergy's milled aluminum hub. It is easy to insert new bearings into a mag wheel and it isn't uncommon to come have one come out of the hub onto the quick release axle when removing them from a chair. On the other hand, it is very difficult to insert or remove the bearings on a Spinergy hub because the tolerances are so tight (one of the few tasks I won't attempt to do myself).

Thank you SCI_OTR, that is what I was looking for; I will look into replacing my casters with new ones. Now I just have to decide, black or silver.

Also, I have experienced the bearings coming out, as you mentioned, numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The recess for the bearings molded into a composite hub will also deform over time.
    I have composite hub FL casters on my demo Marvel chair. Even when brand new, they don't spin nearly as well as my old aluminum hub versions that have been on two different chairs. I don't think deformation over time is a factor here. I have a feeling cheaper bearings are to blame, although I can't verify at the moment.

In real-world use I don't notice a difference re: drag/etc, but it is noticeable when spinning the casters by hand in free space.

From new mine never rolled good either Scott. Unfortunately I don't have both to compare whether I would notice a difference while wheeling. The other day I felt like there was some drag in my right caster and when we compare the two casters in free spin, one is more free than the other, while neither is great. Yet today everything seems fine. While I am not looking forward to the expense, it may be more a piece of mind....we'll see how fast I place an order.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    I have composite hub FL casters on my demo Marvel chair. Even when brand new, they don't spin nearly as well as my old aluminum hub versions that have been on two different chairs. I don't think deformation over time is a factor here. I have a feeling cheaper bearings are to blame, although I can't verify at the moment.

In real-world use I don't notice a difference re: drag/etc, but it is noticeable when spinning the casters by hand in free space.
    They use the same bearings. Aluminum hub casters now ship with sealed bearings instead of the shielded bearings they used to have. FWIW, the shielded bearings did roll better than the sealed bearings.

Are they dirty or clogged up with hair Biran. that's usually a major drag issue. Have you Tired backing of the nut on the csters an 1/8th turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    From new mine never rolled good either Scott. Unfortunately I don't have both to compare whether I would notice a difference while wheeling. The other day I felt like there was some drag in my right caster and when we compare the two casters in free spin, one is more free than the other, while neither is great. Yet today everything seems fine. While I am not looking forward to the expense, it may be more a piece of mind....we'll see how fast I place an order.
    I dunno, have you checked for dirt / pet hair / etc buildup? I hear ya though.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    They use the same bearings. Aluminum hub casters now ship with sealed bearings instead of the shielded bearings they used to have. FWIW, the shielded bearings did roll better than the sealed bearings.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.