Thread: Right I.T pain and leg sweats at night

Right I.T pain and leg sweats at night

Hi all,
    I have a question for anyone who can offer a suggestion about right leg sweats whilst lying and right I.T pain when sitting.
    My right I.T is very painful when sitting and i am constantly adjusting myself on my cushion and pressure relieving, there is no redness of the skin over the I.T area.
    Also at night in the same leg when i lay down it takes awhile for my legs to settle down and keep still, then after about 15 minutes on my back my right leg starts bending upwards at the knee then down flat constantly but while this is happening my leg starts sweating profusely, if i turn on either side the leg continues to sweat and jump to the point of jarring my back.
    I am currently on 3 clonazapam at night (0.5mg x 3) plus 3 Baclofen at night (10mg x 3) and 1 Baclofen in the morning.
    I used to be able to lie on my stomach but this has become harder since i had a colostomy several years ago, i have tried to lie on my stomach for short periods but find that my butt won't go down flat anymore.
    The spinal unit which we have here in NZ suggested i take Clonazapam drops x 4 as a fast acting anti spasm but i find that none of the above medications actually stop the spasm.
    Recently my daughter had a hip bursitis confirmed by ultrasound and had a steroid injection into it which after 3-4 days fixed her problem but whilst she was suffering with pain she couldn't sit on her left I.T as she said it felt like she was sitting on something hard even if the surface was soft, she also experienced pain down her leg to her foot and lost muscle in her left butt, this was over a 18 month period.
    Some of her symptoms sound similar to mine with the pain whilst sitting and pain down her leg to her foot which is what I'm experiencing too as my right Femur aches sometimes from all the spasming and the sole of my foot is sore but not red.
    My leg only occasionally sweats while sitting.
    Any suggestions as to what may be causing this would be very helpful

Thanks
    Peter

Have you had an imaging studies (Xray, or tomograms) of your pelvis? I would want to rule out the following: heterotopic ossification (HO), chronic dislocated hip, undiagnosed osteomyelitis, or Charcot joint of the hip. All are known to occur in people with SCI.

If imaging studies of the bony pelvis are negative, then I would want to go on to assess for an expanding syrinx, as it can cause changes in spasticity (both increase and decrease) as well as abnormal (especially one-sided) sweating below the level of injury, and sometimes increases in neuropathic pain.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you had an imaging studies (Xray, or tomograms) of your pelvis? I would want to rule out the following: heterotopic ossification (HO), chronic dislocated hip, undiagnosed osteomyelitis, or Charcot joint of the hip. All are known to occur in people with SCI.

If imaging studies of the bony pelvis are negative, then I would want to go on to assess for an expanding syrinx, as it can cause changes in spasticity (both increase and decrease) as well as abnormal (especially one-sided) sweating below the level of injury, and sometimes increases in neuropathic pain.

(KLD)

Hi KLD

Thanks for your reply.
    I had an xray of pelvis and hips in Dec 2017 these are the results

FINDINGS: There is moderate right hip osteoarthrosis with cartilage space narrowing slightly more
    pronounced medially and femoral head marginal osteophyte. The left hip has similar but slightly
    less pronounced moderate degenerative change.
    There is generalised osteopenia, including within the proximal femora. The partially visualised
    sacroiliac joints appear within normal limits. The smphysis pubis is normal.

I had a CT scan of both hips in Feb 2019 to check on the healing of the fracture of my left hip which i broke in Aug 2018, I asked for a CT of my right hip at the same time, the results were that the fracture still hasn't fully healed and the right hip had some arthritis but nothing else.

I had a MRI of my neck around Aug 2018 the result was as follows

a persistent syrinx cavity between T1 and T2 which has not significantly changed. There is a tiny syrinx noted within atrophic cord approximately at C7.
    I am to be reviewed again in 2 years from Sep 2018.
    I don't really get these results as back in May 1999 the syrinx according to an MRI traversed C2-T2 (the Dr did say they didn't have the scans done in 1999 available)
    I had a Syringo Subarachnoid shunt inserted in Mar 2001.

Also forgot to mention that I'm on between 600-900 mg of Gabapentin for Nerve pain, prescribed by our pain service
    The symptoms i am getting as described in the beginning of this thread have been going on since 2016/2017
    I have tried Ditropan for the sweating and this has had no affect.

I also had a bone density scan done around Oct 2018 which discovered i have osteoporosis in both hips

Is there anything in these results that would indicate any reason for my symptoms ?

Thanks
    Peter