Thread: Broken spoke

Broken spoke

I have a broken spoke on one of my wheels.. What's the best way to fix this? Bike shop?

What chair? What wheel (brand/model)?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What chair? What wheel (brand/model)?

(KLD)
    Invacare A4. There's a sticker on the inside of the wheel that says ''sun rims sw6000.''

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Invacare A4. There's a sticker on the inside of the wheel that says ''sun rims sw6000.''
    Those should be stainless spokes, any bike shop can do it. You in Seattle?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I had a couple break and I just took them the rest of the way off and left it.

They are easy to replace. You need to take the tire off as well as the tube. Pull the rubber covering the rim to get to the small threaded portion of the spoke and remove it. Replace it with the correct measured length of the spoke. Tighten the spoke to about the same amount of tension. Listen to the resonance of the spoke to tell if it is about equal to the others. Put it all back together and, you should be done. You might be able to get spokes in a bike shop. You can also order them to the length you need from sportaid on the internet. Good luck.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.