Thread: Slipped Disc Treatment

Slipped Disc Treatment

Sometimes yea just feel like you can never catch a break! This is definitely one of those times.
    Anyone experience this and if so what kind of treatment did you do? The pain SUCKS!

I am an active para (t12) mama who must have awful posture because my bones hate me! My recent MRI showed progression of arthritis in my neck at C5-6 & C6-C7, and a prominent right paracentral disc extrusion(why my right arm is numb & burning from my bicep to my thumb). I am pretty sure that's a slipped disc. I've never experienced neck & shoulder pain to this extent. I have a consult with a PM&R this week to see if I need an epidural injection. I'm on prednisone currently, fingers crossed it kicks in soon.

Also, anyone take joint supplements for this issue? Looking for any advice, THANKS!

Hi Chelley03, I have several disc extrusions along the entire length of my spine, and when it started happening I looked everywhere for solutions. In the end, only time - lots of it - and conservative measures (heat and ice, mainly) ameliorated my symptoms. I hope that your medical team will have something good to offer you when you have your PM&R appointment. Physical therapy actually made me worse, as I received very poor advice and treatment. So...bottom line, don't make hasty decisions. You have time to investigate various approaches and see what will work best with your lifestyle and particular needs. And always get a second opinion, if you're presented with invasive options. Best wishes to you!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Hi Chelley03, I have several disc extrusions along the entire length of my spine, and when it started happening I looked everywhere for solutions. In the end, only time - lots of it - and conservative measures (heat and ice, mainly) ameliorated my symptoms. I hope that your medical team will have something good to offer you when you have your PM&R appointment. Physical therapy actually made me worse, as I received very poor advice and treatment. So...bottom line, don't make hasty decisions. You have time to investigate various approaches and see what will work best with your lifestyle and particular needs. And always get a second opinion, if you're presented with invasive options. Best wishes to you!
    Bonnette how long has an episode lasted? I've had this for almost 3 weeks (my worst one yet) and at times I couldn't even sit up without help it was so bad. This past year I have had neck problems but I contributed it to sleeping wrong, and I'm guessing this was just a long time coming? I did do a an injection in my shoulder because they became inflamed together and tendinitis showed up. I am ready for a consult, and see what options they offer. I need to be better so I can chase my family around! I've been resting often, but at times the pain is so constant I don't know if resting helps or doesn't.

With kids to take care of, I'd be looking for efficient solutions, too. It's taken me anywhere from 1-3 mos to get better, using conservative measures. My spine is like a house of cards - have to be very careful not to twist or make sudden moves. And I need to use a good pillow for my neck (I bought a MyPillow at Walmart that works great). Stress makes back pain worse, the little muscle fibers tighten up like screws - so if your doctor and therapists know something that will get you back to caring for your family quicker than "the tincture of time," that will help with peace of mind. If anyone recommends surgery, though, do get a second opinion.

See what types of activity may aggrevate your syptoms. That is something that you caan do while you wait for your appointment. My other recommendtion is to listen to your options and start with the least invasive. If PT is recommended ask for a referral to one who deals with spine issues.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for bringing up the baclofen pump. It is a viable option for many people. I would still like to see if Chelley can find the cause for the increase in spasticity.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Thanks for bringing up the baclofen pump. It is a viable option for many people. I would still like to see if Chelley can find the cause for the increase in spasticity.

ckf
    Was this reply possibly intended for another thread? Chelley's issue is pain from an extruded disc, rather than increased spasticity (unless she raised that issue in a separate thread).