Thread: Recommendations for handcycle for C5

Recommendations for handcycle for C5

I am a C4-5 quadriplegic and would like to purchase a hand cycle. I've never tried one and so I'm not sure how difficult they are.. I weigh about 155 and am not very strong.

C6 quad and handcycler here. I don't want to tell you : Buy this or that, but I hope my little practice can help you to make up your mind.
    First, you must consider buying an hybrid model, or to install an aftermarket electric assistance. It's a game changer. Electric motor will make you really enjoy the ride and have fun with your bike. Without, if your arms are not strong enough, handbike is just a PITA, or a Superhuman toy.
    2nd, take care to the transfer ability. I don't know how you can transfer, but sometimes the better choice if you want to have a strong practice is to avoid transfer as much as possible. The option of the 3rd front wheel attachable to your wheelchair may be the best idea.
    If you want to have a "true" handbike, you must look for details I think are important for mid to high level quads : floor to seat heigh can help you or your assistant to transfer you, retro-brake and chin control gears if you don't have hand control, fine tuning possibility of the cranckset, the backrest, the pedals?
    My own rig, FYI : Hase Lepus (pretty similar to Kettweisel) with 1600W aftermarket motor, NuVinci and Mountain Drive gearbox, Bike-on' Quadgrip, self made chin controls, self made retro-brake. High offroad ability, it was the goal.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

c5-6 here.zero triceps or hand function. key is working with another quad, only a quad knows what a quad needs. i have been cycling for 25 of my 32 yrs of sci. i have a quad elite rx and a stricker tetra smart. if i could only have one it would be the stricker. Why? because i can use it 100% independently, i ride daily.
    check out my channel i demonstrate both.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Would it be possible for you to try one? Maybe an association or outpatient rehab that might have some different cycles for you to try? It's a tough call to make because you never really know what you're going to like until you give it a try (but by all means just get out there and give it a try). I agree with @robotnik about transfers. I use a bathtub lift to get from my bike to the chair, and I use a small dolly from Harbor Freight Tools to easily push the lift around.

those lifts really dont work without triceps, still tough. i recommend a setup like this for my customers with no triceps like myself. cheap and easy..... i have 200 in this. used old lift from craigs list and 50 dollar welded receiver
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

[reflist][/reflist]
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    those lifts really dont work without triceps, still tough. i recommend a setup like this for my customers with no triceps like myself. cheap and easy..... i have 200 in this. used old lift from craigs list and 50 dollar welded receiver

What's the welding for/have you got a close up? What's the difference between this and a hoyer/mobile hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
    [reflist][/reflist]

What's the welding for/have you got a close up? What's the difference between this and a hoyer/mobile hoist?
    this mounts on your trailer hitch. most lifts wont fit under a low bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com