Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Help me pick out my first manual chair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    23

    Help me pick out my first manual chair

    Hey there,

    Newbie here to SCI and this awesome community. I'm looking to get my first manual chair soon, and hoping to find some advice from the been-there done-that geniuses on this forum that can help me avoid making the common mistakes we all make when entering new terrain. :-)

    A little about me: I'm a 6' 160lb 41-year-old male, injured last June in a climbing accident. I've got a C5/C6 incomplete Asia B diagnosis with triceps and wrists, but no fingers and no core below the chest. I did my inpatient rehab at Spaulding in Boston, and continue there with my outpatient care for the time being. I'm working with the PT team there on my wheelchair needs. But it's been tricky: they advised me to get a power chair while I was still an inpatient, and my Medicaid insurance program has been batting me around for the last nine months with appeals so I still don't even have that.

    My PT's plan was and is to submit a follow-up insurance request for a manual chair once I've got the power chair in hand. But frankly, given Medicaid pressures over the last year, I don't expect them to grant me a manual chair. So I think my best course of action is going to be paying for one out-of-pocket and hoping that the power chair comes through as planned. The good news is that I have a loaner power chair, as well as a loaner manual chair (a Quickie GPV Competition that sadly doesn't really fit me ) courtesy of Numotion.

    A couple of considerations for my situation:
    1) I don't think I'm going to get in the habit of transferring to a car, and will instead get a minivan with a ramp to help protect my shoulders.
    2) My PT has advised me that I should get power assist wheels. After doing some research, I really like the look of the Twions. Hopefully their FDA woes don't complicate things.
    3) Also, I've been largely out of action for the last several months due to a pressure sore that I stupidly gave myself and the subsequent surgery it required. Now that I'm getting back into action, I decided to go big and get a Stricker handcycle. In fact, I've already ordered that intending to use it with the loaner chair until such time as I get my own! But of course, if I dropped the coin on the handcycle I'm pretty damn ready to do it for the wheelchair too. Needless to say, I want to make sure I get a chair that will work well with the handcycle. This is my ticket being really active again like I was prior to the injury.
    4) Finally, prior to my injury I spent most of my free time in the mountains and I'd like to get back there one way or another. So hopefully I can find a chair that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

    So my big question is: What are all the things that I need to be thinking about in order to make sure I get the right chair this first time around? I'm not getting any younger, and arguably the most productive upcoming years of my life are gonna be the next four or five. So I really want to do the best I can to put myself in the right chair. At the very least, I want to know what is important to think about when working with my colleagues at Spaulding to plan out what chair I should get. While an inpatient, I actually went through this process but didn't know what the heck does doing. They ended up saying I'll get a Quickie, but damned if I even know what model nevermind why they thought it was the right one for me. This time around, I want to make sure that I'm deep in the details and getting something that's exactly right.

    Things I think I know:
    • I've heard a few people say nasty things about Quickie, and a lot of people say nice things about TiLite. Maybe that's the brand for me? But what model?
    • I suspect I'd be stupid not to get an adjustable chair this first time around.
    • The chair needs to be reinforced properly so that I can use power assist wheels.
    • The cushion is a crucial but wholly separate discussion. I'm not getting another pressure sore!
    • Obviously, my PT's gotta make sure we get all the right measurements.
    • Once I think I found the right solution, I should try like hell to demo it.


    What else am I missing? And, importantly, what do I need to know and be thinking about with regard to all my measurements?

    Thanks so much for any help! And sorry for the long-winded post. Appreciate your patience!

    - Emmett
    Last edited by ejl10; 05-30-2019 at 11:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Sounds like you're thinking along excellent lines. I'm not in the US so don't understand insurance etc.

    I just wanted to make sure you know, re the twions, that the newest e-motions are generally better for people with an upper body impairment; they're more adjustable, more fine tuneable etc. Are they available in the US, currently? Here in Europe they're very new while the twions have been out for quite a while. You might want to try and get a demo of both, at least, before ordering twions because the new e-motions may work better for you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
    Sounds like you're thinking along excellent lines. I'm not in the US so don't understand insurance etc.

    I just wanted to make sure you know, re the twions, that the newest e-motions are generally better for people with an upper body impairment; they're more adjustable, more fine tuneable etc. Are they available in the US, currently? Here in Europe they're very new while the twions have been out for quite a while. You might want to try and get a demo of both, at least, before ordering twions because the new e-motions may work better for you.
    That's fantastic to know. I hadn't heard about the new e-motion wheels, but will definitely look into them before I make any move!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    That's fantastic to know. I hadn't heard about the new e-motion wheels, but will definitely look into them before I make any move!
    I've been waiting for the new e-motion wheels to get FDA clearance for years. Just like the Community Use package with the Twions, the issue seems to be the Bluetooth capabilities. Hopefully, they will both receive clearance soon.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I've been waiting for the new e-motion wheels to get FDA clearance for years. Just like the Community Use package with the Twions, the issue seems to be the Bluetooth capabilities. Hopefully, they will both receive clearance soon.
    Ugghhh... foiled by the FDA again!

  6. #6
    First I'd stay away from the bike until your butt is completely healed. Emphasis on the completely. On this forum you will find a bias toward Tilites. I have a 35 year old Quickie folder and it works great for me. My only advice is to get a chair as adjustable as possible. Then fiddle with it. I even like aluminum chairs, because I can cut them and have them welded to fit me.
    I looked at powered wheels, but because I use a car, I got a Smart Drive. But I'm a para so I can put it on and off myself, but its difficult for a quad.
    Don't let them stick you in a power chair. I got the power assist, but can feel myself getting fat from it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    16
    I have a heavy duty TiLite. It is almost infinitely adjustable within its setup range. Most of the modern sport chairs will likely work. Find the ones that work best with the Twion if there is an issue.

    My TiLite uses an axle pin that is 3/8" shorter than all other pins I have used in the last 37 years due to a non-standard hub diameter. Ordered a proper axle mount (threaded sleeve) and they sent me what I already had.

    My experience with sales reps suggests doing lots of your own research is best.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    I have a heavy duty TiLite. It is almost infinitely adjustable within its setup range. Most of the modern sport chairs will likely work. Find the ones that work best with the Twion if there is an issue.

    My TiLite uses an axle pin that is 3/8" shorter than all other pins I have used in the last 37 years due to a non-standard hub diameter. Ordered a proper axle mount (threaded sleeve) and they sent me what I already had.

    My experience with sales reps suggests doing lots of your own research is best.
    Great to hear about the TiLite adjustability. That's absolutely what I like to hear since I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get the adjustments right on the first go. But a bummer to hear about that axle pin - seems like nonstandard equipment is always a real hassle. And I couldn't agree more about sales reps in general. Occasionally they're knowledgeable and helpful, but more often than not they leave you with incomplete information.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    I have a heavy duty TiLite. It is almost infinitely adjustable within its setup range. Most of the modern sport chairs will likely work. Find the ones that work best with the Twion if there is an issue.

    My TiLite uses an axle pin that is 3/8" shorter than all other pins I have used in the last 37 years due to a non-standard hub diameter. Ordered a proper axle mount (threaded sleeve) and they sent me what I already had.
    The bearing spacing of a wheel's hub is dependent on the manufacturer and model of the wheel. TiLite's axle sleeve is the same length as Invacare/Top End. Quickie has traditionally been the exception. That said, to use a Spinergy everyday hub with the Twion's interface, a spacer is required.


  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    First I'd stay away from the bike until your butt is completely healed. Emphasis on the completely. On this forum you will find a bias toward Tilites. I have a 35 year old Quickie folder and it works great for me. My only advice is to get a chair as adjustable as possible. Then fiddle with it. I even like aluminum chairs, because I can cut them and have them welded to fit me.
    I looked at powered wheels, but because I use a car, I got a Smart Drive. But I'm a para so I can put it on and off myself, but its difficult for a quad.
    Don't let them stick you in a power chair. I got the power assist, but can feel myself getting fat from it.

    Thanks so much for the reminder to not rush into the bike. It's been an awfully long road already dealing with this pressure sore, and I definitely don't want it to recur. I got the bike now primarily because bike-on was running low and I didn't want to miss my chance before the end of summer.
    Great advice about adjustability. I've read that several times here, and it's top of mind. My biggest worry is about anything that isn't adjustable, like frame measurements. I want to make sure I get those right! But of course, to your point some metals like aluminum can still be adjusted.
    As far as power wheels are concerned, I'm pretty sold on the idea especially since I don't transfer to a car. But I'll be damned if I get stuck in a power chair all the time! It'll be good for working at home at a standing desk, and just generally getting me standing on a regular basis, but it's not something I want to be my only vehicle. After 11 months of being pretty sedative, I'm eager to become active again

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
  3. Somebody help me pick a chair
    By funklab in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 01:58 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 10:46 PM
  5. Help me pick my new chair :)
    By leschinsky in forum Equipment
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •