Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE help with severe blistering, oozing sunburn!

Exclamation PLEASE help with severe blistering, oozing sunburn!

Hello everyone,
    I was hoping you could help with suggestions for a severe sunburn I got on both of my legs last weekend. It didn't hurt at first but then Wednesday both legs began to hurt quite badly. The right leg started blistering and training almost constantly, I'll try to attach a picture. So far, I've tried aloe vera gel and apple cider vinegar on both legs as a treatment. FYI, the skin is almost always dry and cracked except for the area that's draining. The right leg almost seems a bit swollen. Are there any other treatments you can suggest? I'm very concerned about infection, is there anything else I should be taking to prevent infection? One treatment I read online was cortisone, would you suggest that? I left a message with my GP this morning but still haven't heard back. I'm almost tempted to go to the emergency room but I doubt they would do much. This happened to me once before, about 30 years ago but my Dr. didn't really do anything, just recommended cold compresses and aloe vera gel. Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
    Dan G. in CT

Picture

Whoops, forgot to attach a picture. FYI, the reason the whole leg is glistening like that is my CNA had just put some apple cider vinegar/water on the sunburn. Only one small area is constantly losing, around the 2 inch area where it's bleeding. The white spots are from an antiseptic powder I had tried the night before. Anyway, thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hydrocortisone cream is very helpful in reducing the pain and inflammation.
    if you have an opening in the skin do not put the hydrocortisone cream on an open wound. Wash your skin with soap and water, pat dry, put an antibiotic ointment atop the open wound and cover with an appropriate size bandaid.
    Of course cold cloths are helpful too.

By the way do not pop blisters they protect the skin underneath and will “pop” on their own. If they get popped early on trim off the blister and wash with soap and water and cover with antibiotic ointment if the skin looks raw underneath

if your condition worsens see your provider.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

1% silver sulfadiazine cream, 1% CCD cream or brand name Silvadene.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hydrocortisone cream is very helpful in reducing the pain and inflammation.
    if you have an opening in the skin do not put the hydrocortisone cream on an open wound. Wash your skin with soap and water, pat dry, put an antibiotic ointment atop the open wound and cover with an appropriate size bandaid.
    Of course cold cloths are helpful too.

By the way do not pop blisters they protect the skin underneath and will ?pop? on their own. If they get popped early on trim off the blister and wash with soap and water and cover with antibiotic ointment if the skin looks raw underneath

if your condition worsens see your provider.

pbr
    Are your sure you want to put an ointment which is oil base on a burn?

I burned my leg back in '89 with a hair dryer and went to the ER they gave me a cream based antibiotic. I have one large scar on my right leg about 4" x 6" oval and about six 1" x 2" smaller scars from the burn.

You may want to contact your doctor for prescription of 1% silver sulfadiazine cream, 1% CCD cream or brand name Silvadene. Silvadene is used for burns and small stage pressure injuries. Silvadene is an antibiotic cream and works very well and helps new sink grow quickly. It is very inexpensive in cost.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Agree silvadene is good for burns you will need a prescription from a provider for its use. If you have a sulfa allergy, silvadene is contraindicated as it contains sulfa.
    I was suggesting at home treatments

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Are your sure you want to put an ointment which is oil base on a burn?

I burned my leg back in '89 with a hair dryer and went to the ER they gave me a cream based antibiotic. I have one large scar on my right leg about 4" x 6" oval and about six 1" x 2" smaller scars from the burn.

You may want to contact your doctor for prescription of 1% silver sulfadiazine cream, 1% CCD cream or brand name Silvadene. Silvadene is used for burns and small stage pressure injuries. Silvadene is an antibiotic cream and works very well and helps new sink grow quickly. It is very inexpensive in cost.

Ti
    +1
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I had a hot water burn on my foot. The wound clinic gave me fibracol plus it is a collagen wound dressing with alginate found it on Amazon after being charged 900.00 for a 30 day supply. Crazy but every item I have been prescribed by the wound clinic I can find on Amazon. I had used duoderm early on for a sore on my hip that got ugly. Do not understand that.
    Last edited by Lavender lady; 06-16-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Lavender Lady
    i looked on Amazon and you cannot get 1% silvadene cream for burns
    but you can get other wound products like colloidal silver. It that is not recommended for burns

the only drawback to buying wound products online is that if you don’t know what you should be ordering for your wound you are shooting in the dark as to the proper treatment for your specific wound.

pbr

I was given the fibracol plus dressing for my burn at the wound clinic not the silvadene cream

Thanks for clarifying

pbr