Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whose shoulders have lasted the longest?

45 years with SCI. I have been very blessed to still have pretty good shoulder function. I played hoops for many years too so lots of abuse, but so far so good! Some years ago I was having shoulder issues and I was treated with cortisone shots which helped, but it didn't fix it. I finally realized that the cause of my shoulder problems was from yanking my manual chair in and out of my car. After years and years of doing that, my shoulders just said enough! I reluctantly traded my sports car in for a ramp van and viola, problem fixed. Thank the Lord!
    Last edited by rcrumb; 05-28-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrumb View Post
    45 years with SCI. I have been very blessed to still have pretty good shoulder function. I played hoops for many years too so lots of abuse, but so far so good! Some years ago I was having shoulder issues and I was treated with cortisone shots which helped, but it didn't fix it. I finally realized that the cause of my shoulder problems was from yanking my manual chair in and out of my car. After years and years of doing that, my shoulders just said enough! I reluctantly traded my sports car in for a ramp van and viola, problem fixed. Thank the Lord!
    2 weeks ago I developed shoulder pain after a busy day when I tossed my chair in and out of my car trying to meet appointment times. I'm getting chiropractic care but will consult with an orthopedist, as I suspect some cortisone would be helpful at this point. I have already identified less stressful ways to load my chair, so expect that with some healing I will be able to continue with my present vehicle. In addition, sitting straight with shoulders relaxed is more helpful than I expected. I have only been in a chair 11 years but previous to that I was hard on my shoulders, doing heavier work than my build is really designed for. I recall a major shoulder problem in 2003 that was resolved with just 2 visits to an acupuncturist. Who knew?

Previously I had failed to take seriously the small strains of certain ADLs.

62 years old and 35 years T12-L1. Shoulders are totally shot. Last summer I ended up in a power chair. Driving a mini van from the chair. I am far from independent but still working. My wife is my caregiver.