Thread: Best Soluble fiber product for diarrhea

Best Soluble fiber product for diarrhea

Quick question: what fiber products are any of you using for diarrhea or loose stool? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    Quick question: what fiber products are any of you using for diarrhea or loose stool? Thanks!!
    Metamucil. I've been taking it for years. I mix a heaping teaspoon in a glass of water twice a day. That, plus a daily mid day snack of 3 or 4 dried prunes and I try for a high fiber diet. Mostly, stool pretty much stays soft and formed, not loose or watery.
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-26-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Metamucil. I've been taking it for years. I a mix a heaping teaspoon in a glass of water twice a day. That, plus a daily mid day snack of 3 or 4 dried prunes and I try for a high fiber diet. Mostly, stool pretty much stays soft and formed, not loose or watery.
    Thanks so much, good info!

Do you really have diarrhea (3 or more loose stools in a 24 hour period) or is your stool just very loose? Not the same thing. If you have diarrhea, the cause should be investigated. Of major concern for anyone who has had a recent hospitalization or been on antibiotics is a c. difficile infection (c. dif.). If this is the case for you, you need to get a stool specimen to your provider and have it tested. You should NOT take medications such as psyllium or Imodium to firm up your stool with untreated c. dif! This can increase the problem and lead to serious complications.

If you do have c. dif. it needs to be treated, and then once you have completed treatment, measures can be taken to firm up any continuing loose stools, although this is usually self-correcting.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.