Thread: The Pork Dish

The Pork Dish

I had to type this up for a friend and figured it costs nothing to share it here, as well. It's tasty, relatively low in calories, and reasonably "healthy". Plus, not too hard to make (and get it RIGHT!).

We have this meal EVERY Sunday. For at least the past 10 years -- likely longer! (we arrange our joint schedules to ensure that we CAN do so!)

Suggested brand names are highly recommended as we've tried countless substitutes, over the years, and have been disappointed whenever we've strayed from these recommendations -- particularly the Hoisin sauce and bamboo strips!

Of course, pay attention to T/t!

Marinade:
    • 1T soy sauce (Kikkoman)
    • 1T dry sherry (Tio Pepe -- but not that critical)
    • 1t sesame oil (Kadoya)
    • 1T corn starch

Sauce:
    • 3T Hoisin sauce (Dynasty)
    • 1T dry sherry (Tio Pepe)
    • 1T soy sauce (Kikkoman)

[This used to also include 2T of honey but we found it too sweet]

Ingredients:
    • ~10oz pork tenderloin (Swift Premium)
    • 9.5oz bamboo strips (Aroy-D, this is half of a 19oz can; STRIPS, not SLICES)
    • 1 "bunch" (~6?) scallions

Preparation:
    • mix marinade
    • Slice (cleaned!) tenderloin into strips ~1 inch wide, 1/8 - 3/16 inch thick
    • marinate pork strips for ~3 hours

Directions:
    • drain bamboo strips
    • mix sauce
    • slice bottom ~2inches of scallions into 1/8" slices (trim root end off); place in a serving bowl
    • stir fry pork strips (medium heat) in 12" frying pan (or wok) greased with a splash of sesame oil
    • when pork is cooked (no pink remains), add bamboo strips
    • add sauce
    • stir to bring bamboo and sauce to serving temperature

Serve over a bed of your favorite rice (steamed or fried). Garnish with scallion slices.

As we make this so regularly, we purchase the tenderloins in ~5 pound packages (Costco) -- four tenderloins per vacuum-packed package. We clean/trim them and cut them into ~10 oz pieces; wrap in Saran wrap ("cling wrap") and freeze. The night prior to serving, we remove one piece from the freezer at ~1AM and transfer it to the refrigerator. It has then thawed just enough to make cutting easy by ~8AM (if thawed completely, it's a little harder to cut finely as its soft and squishy). Marinated, this is then ready to cook just before noon.

The entire meal is about 550 Calories (split between us) and costs about $5 (~$3.50/lb pork; $2.50 hoisin makes 2 meals; $1.60 bamboo makes 2 meals; $0.50 scallions) -- not counting the rice. It feeds two of us (I eat the lion's share of the meat -- but no rice; she opts for the rice, and less meat).

That looks good. there i no sesame oil like Kadoya. Try it on popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    That looks good. there i no sesame oil like Kadoya.
    Yeah, we use enough of it that we buy it in a "half gallon" (56 oz) tin -- about $17?. But, it's a 40 minute drive to the "oriental" grocery store so we have to plan our trips around what we're likely to need (e.g., we keep 15 cans of bamboo strips and 15 bottles of Hoisin sauce on hand -- enough for 30 meals -- just to reduce the need for that "pilgrimage"...)

Try it on popcorn.
    We eat popcorn "dry" (w/popcorn salt), but pop it in Olive Oil (popper operates at a temperature below the oil's smoke point) which gives it a richer flavor. Are you recommending replacing the Olive Oil with Sesame Oil in the popping stage? Or, spritzing sesame oil on the popped corn before serving, much like you would with melted butter?

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post

We eat popcorn "dry" (w/popcorn salt), but pop it in Olive Oil (popper operates at a temperature below the oil's smoke point) which gives it a richer flavor. Are you recommending replacing the Olive Oil with Sesame Oil in the popping stage? Or, spritzing sesame oil on the popped corn before serving, much like you would with melted butter?
    I have an air popper, so I put the sesame oil on after. A friend who lived a while in a monastery told me the monks competed after dinner to invent the best popcorn recipes. The one that won out over time was with sesame oil and sprinkled with garlic powder, not garlic salt. It is fabulous and cuts back a bit on your salt intake. When people do not watch TV they get more creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I have an air popper, so I put the sesame oil on after.
    Ah! We found the air popper TOO dry -- hard to get the salt to cling to the popped kernels!

Somehow, the idea of pouring oil on popped corn seems weird. But, I guess it's no worse than pouring melted butter on it!

I think I'll try popping it IN sesame oil, first (popping in olive oil and then pouring sesame oil on the popped corn seems like it would lead to a mixup of flavors as both oils have significant flavor). It may impart enough f the oil's flavor to eliminate the need for adding oil, later.

A friend who lived a while in a monastery told me the monks competed after dinner to invent the best popcorn recipes. The one that won out over time was with sesame oil and sprinkled with garlic powder, not garlic salt.
    The garlic is a win, for me -- but she would frown mightily at the idea. She prefers adding grated cheese and Lawry's seasoned salt. We typically have to resort to making separate batches (or, splitting a large bowl before seasoning)...

It is fabulous and cuts back a bit on your salt intake. When people do not watch TV they get more creative!
    She'll opt for popcorn in lieu of a meal. I'll eat it while working in the (home) office. Neither of us are the types to make a bowl and sit down in front of the idiot box (though, having said that, I just finished watching Flushed Away).

I don't think either of us would relish it without the salt -- we have very little added salt in our diets, already. Of course, the sodium in all of my baked goods probably more than compensates for the "shortage", elsewhere. :<

Thanks for the tip!