Thread: L.A. raises fine to $1,100 for people who misuse disabled parking placards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L.A. raises fine to $1,100 for people who misuse disabled parking placards

"The Los Angeles City Council voted Tuesday to impose a hefty fine on anyone caught misusing a disabled parking placard.

The new $1,100 fine is the maximum amount allowed by state law for a traffic violation, according to the motion by Councilman Bob Blumenfield. The ordinance increased the penalty from $343."

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/04/09/l-a-city-council-increases-fines-for-disabled-parking-placard-fraudsters-to-1100/

Wonder if this will be enough of a deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    "The Los Angeles City Council voted Tuesday to impose a hefty fine on anyone caught misusing a disabled parking placard.

The new $1,100 fine is the maximum amount allowed by state law for a traffic violation, according to the motion by Councilman Bob Blumenfield. The ordinance increased the penalty from $343."

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/04/09/l-a-city-council-increases-fines-for-disabled-parking-placard-fraudsters-to-1100/

Wonder if this will be enough of a deterrent?
    Good!

I live in the area and don't think this is a good idea. $500 maybe, but the key to getting people to obey this law is enforcement. $1000 when no one expects a ticket may as well be $5000.

The expensive malls have all the disabled parking taken. Not so much at less expensive malls and Walmart. Rich people buying DP parking is legal abuse.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    If they split the fine with the police department, would provide some incentive for it to be policed when folks call it in.
    Should make the fine $1,100 for cars with a book value less than $50,000, then 0.5% of the book value of the car

Police won't come to enforce it. Dr's give away passes like candy. People don't care. If they moved the gimp parking to the middle or far end of parking lot that would fix it. I did it in a little town I lived in and nobody parked there but me. Now I have a PAD and don't use gimp parking, I just park where no one can block my door.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    police won't come to enforce it. Dr's give away passes like candy. People don't care. If they moved the gimp parking to the middle or far end of parking lot that would fix it. I did it in a little town i lived in and nobody parked there but me. Now i have a pad and don't use gimp parking, i just park where no one can block my door.
    "pad?"

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    "pad?"
    It should have been PAD= power assist device. I was at an the Sun and Fun airshow in march. They had the best parking I've ever seen. Had a quad in an off road chair running it. A woman working there referred to my Smart Drive as a PAD, new word to me.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Police won't come to enforce it. Dr's give away passes like candy. People don't care. If they moved the gimp parking to the middle or far end of parking lot that would fix it. I did it in a little town I lived in and nobody parked there but me. Now I have a PAD and don't use gimp parking, I just park where no one can block my door.
    I believe that varies by community. Some do better than others.