Thread: quick release on wheel is not working

quick release on wheel is not working

The quick release button presses in on my wheel, but the wheel won't come off. Can someone tell me what might be wrong and how I fix this? I don't want to get stranded without a wheelchair if I need to get some parts first..

The likely problem is that water got in there and resulted in corrosion between the axle and the shaft. Spray WD-40 or PB blaster where this corrosion has built. Let is sit for a couple minutes. Spray some more. Then hold down the button to release the axle as you tap the opposite end of the axle with a hammer to loosen the corrosion.

Once you get the axle out, you should make sure that you get all the corrosion out of the shaft. You can loosen the corrosion with more WD-40. Spray WD-40 on the axle. Insert, remove, clean, and spray more WD-40. Repeat this process until the axle comes out clean. Then add some lubricant (not WD-40) like silicone.
    Last edited by August West; 05-19-2019 at 07:03 PM.

I had the same problem on my old A4. The axle shaft was seized into the axle tube. But thankfully it was only one side. So what I did was remove the one wheel that I could, then set the chair on its side with the seized wheel down. Then poured a little anti-seize mixture of 50/50 ATF and Acetone through the top axle shaft opening. That was the only good way I could see to get fluid to soak into the seized axle and shaft. Once a day I would try to loosen the seized axle, and after only a few days it finally came free. Then I cleaned and lubed everything once apart and all was good after that.

Obviously this doesn't work if it's your only chair you have to use.

The ATF/Acetone mix works very well but has a strong odor and may not be an option for you. WD40 as mentioned above should do the trick unless it is really severe.

This has happened to me when I haven't taken the wheels off in a while. My axles are well greased, so I never see any corrosion, but they still stick sometimes. I don't know if it is different between chairs, but for reference, I have a Quickie Q7 with sportaid quick release axles I bought when I got new wheels. Whenever I am unable to get them off easily, I transfer out of the chair, and pull with a sharp strong motion. After a few hard pulls I am able to get them off, which is nice since I usually run into this problem on work travel breaking down the chair to put in a rental car after I haven't had to travel in a while. Assuming it is corrosion, the guys above have it right. If it has just been a long time since you took them off, I suggest you or a friend attempt to knock it loose by pulling hard (obviously while you are not in the chair). Once I get it loose once I cycle it a few times to knock loose whatever was binding the axle and I'm good until the next time I go a long time between tearing the chair down.

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    The quick release button presses in on my wheel, but the wheel won't come off. Can someone tell me what might be wrong and how I fix this? I don't want to get stranded without a wheelchair if I need to get some parts first..
    All of the above except I would belt the shaft (softly ) with a soft faced hammer or hardwood.
    Also, it could be that the three detente balls may be held up with gunk.
    I have used grease to keep the axle shaft from binding and found it to be messy when transferring into my vehicle.
    Wax is better for these reasons; it repeals moisture far better than grease or oil. Wax is clean.

Surprisingly, after I read your advice, the wheel actually came off when it was pulled on. It was full of rust so I used some WD-40 and silicon lubricant spray.. Now, it's as good as new. Thanks.