Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puncture resistant alternative to Schwalbe Marathon plus Tires

Blog Entries
    There are 2 differences with Marathons: the rubber is thicker (stretches less) and they have steel wire core beads, which don't stretch at all. All the Shwalbe 145psi tires use metal wire core beads, instead of just folded rubber like most other <=~100psi tires, so "stretching" the final bit of bead into place is harder. Add thicker rubber on top of that, and it gets that much harder.

I've used a large steel tire iron (spoon style motorcycle "travel size" Tire 'Arn), and zip ties, with good success. Technique + tools makes it much easier, but the no-stretch metal wire rim bead is the main difficulty, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Can anyone explain why marathons (possibly other wheelchair tires, though I've been brand loyal for a long time) are so hard to get on? There doesn't seem to be a good reason. Changing bicycle tires is stupid easy and as far as I know they don't go rolling off of the rims all the time.

Are wheelchair rims inherently build differently than bicycle ones because manufacturers are worried about the lateral forces exerted on wheelchair tires whereas bicycle tires are theoretically never really experiencing a lateral force (at least so long as you're not skidding or crashing). That's the only thing I can think of, but it just doesn't feel like a realistic explanation.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I've used a large steel tire iron (spoon style motorcycle "travel size" Tire 'Arn), and zip ties, with good success. Technique + tools makes it much easier, but the no-stretch metal wire rim bead is the main difficulty, IMO.
    Ahhh...! Zip ties! great idea. My own solution is a mobile bike guy who wrestles and fumes with my tires but gets it done for $50. Still, even as a quad I can do it, if I must.

not a true replacement for Marathon's but I just picked up a pair of Kenda Kwest's today in a 32-559 size. Rated to 100psi. I actually like the extra width, and my chair has adjustable axle-receivers so they won't rub on my fixed sideguards.. They were $30 each on Canadian Amazon and seem pretty decent (haven't installed them yet). Hoping they don't squak real bad....

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Commute...-14&th=1&psc=1

I just can't justify the price of Schwalbe's anymore! (for my day chair, that is) I haven't got very good wear mileage out of my last couple sets of Marathons and they cost almost as much as car tires. :/

Where is the video yall are mentioning of the guy doing this with no tools. I've never been able to do it without a steel tire iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Where is the video yall are mentioning of the guy doing this with no tools. I've never been able to do it without a steel tire iron.
    Granted they are less forgiving. While the process in the video in the above post works, I see no reason not to use a plastic tool at the end. Metal will scratch your rims.

Leave them in the sun, or warm them with a heat gun.

right run plus. same as mp without extra tread and weight
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Leave them in the sun, or warm them with a heat gun.
    Or a bathtub filled with very hot water. Works great for solid tire mounting, too. Unfortunately, the steel wire core in the Marathon bead is the real obstacle and it doesn't soften.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

We are hoping that Schwalbe starts using the Airless System for 24" wheelchair tires. It's currently only available for larger tires. I heard good things from our bike mechanic about them (in Holland). https://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressere...ss-system.html
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).