Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg bag questions

Leg bag questions

My Dad is an incomplete para who walks with AFOs and forearm crutches. He normally does CIC during the day, and puts in a foley every night. He wants to have the option of sometimes keeping the foley in and using a leg bag during the day if he has a long outing planned that makes cathing on schedule difficult.

Yesterday he tried using a leg bag using pointers you guys gave him years ago. We bought a Hollister kit with soft extension tubing that KLD recommended, and cut the extension tubing to optimize the length. It was quite difficult disconnecting the foley from the night bag because he puts that on incredibly tight every night because he worries about leaks. But attaching to the leg bag was easy. Urine flowed well. The flip flo top to empty is nice.

But he complained that the foley felt like it was getting tugged, especially as the bag filled up more. The bag was attached to his lower leg, as he needs a large size bag because he can make a lot of urine in a short period of time.

For those of you who wear AFOs and walk with these bags, any pointers how/where to secure the bags/tubing to make them very secure with walking? Or other specific recs about what securing devices you use?

My Dad tried to put one of the leg bag straps above his AFOs, and used one of the velcro leg straps for holding the foley tubing itself on his thigh. But clearly that wasn't enough.

Next time we will try adding some tape along the length of the extension tubing.

I wear my leg bag on my thigh and run the 3/8" tube from the flip valve down to the ankle area. Leg bag is plugged directly into the catheter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I wear my leg bag on my thigh and run the 3/8" tube from the flip valve down to the ankle area. Leg bag is plugged directly into the catheter.

Thanks - do you also use the large leg bag? Which bag do you use? How do you secure it? Does it also pull sometimes as it fills or when you walk/transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Thanks - do you also use the large leg bag? Which bag do you use? How do you secure it? Does it also pull sometimes as it fills or when you walk/transfer?
    Hollister 9805 leg bag: https://www.hollister.com/en/product...-Bag---Sterile

You can buy them seperate from the straps, or you can buy them with the straps. The straps last me for years. The bag is 32 oz. so it holds a lot until you notice it. From the flip valve I use 3/8" flexible latex hose that I buy on eBay.

In the hospital and outside we use the Bard Stat-lock to attach to the skin ( up to 7 days) and has anchoring device for foley..
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Hollister 9805 leg bag: https://www.hollister.com/en/product...-Bag---Sterile

You can buy them seperate from the straps, or you can buy them with the straps. The straps last me for years. The bag is 32 oz. so it holds a lot until you notice it. From the flip valve I use 3/8" flexible latex hose that I buy on eBay.

Thanks Rusty - that is the exactly the one my Dad used! So just using the straps that come with the bag, you were able to secure it sufficiently on your thigh? No stat-lock or or velcro holder for the foley itself?

He'll try it. Maybe he just needs to attach the straps tighter before walking...?

I can't say how the bag will stay in place on the thigh because I'm in a wheelchair, but I would image it would work if used will upright, walking. Might be a problem if the bag gets really full, then it may tend to drift down. I don't use any type of holder on the catheter itself, just connected directly to the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    In the hospital and outside we use the Bard Stat-lock to attach to the skin ( up to 7 days) and has anchoring device for foley..
    CWO
    As CWO mentioned this works.

http://m.bardmedical.com/products/ur...zation-device/

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs View Post

Yes, I am familiar with these. Just a little pricey since they aren't reuseable, and as I recall, hard to get off? He will only use the foley for the day, then take it out. But maybe it is the only safe way to prevent tugging if you want to risk walking with the foley....

If you wear the bag on your thigh, connected directly to the catheter you don't need any addition attachment, or securing devices.