Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permobil vs. Quickie powerchair

Permobil vs. Quickie powerchair

I've finally been approved for a new powerchair. Though I use a manual 90% of the time, more and more it's convenient and helpful to have a powerchair. Especially with the raising function now, that would help a lot in the house. Unfortunately my house is small, and no way any powerchair is gonna get in my bathroom. My last chair is a Permobil M300, and it quickly started falling apart using it outside so much. It's been a headache. The rep brought out a Quickie (forget the exact model, but the one Medi-cal pays for), and I liked it, nice and quiet, looked good, etc. However a friend warned me that she knew someone with huge trouble, so much that they had it declared a lemon. They commented how many others also had an issue with that chair, so it made me cancel. The rep said they're the best outside, with the articulating wheels. I did like that. The Perm was rough, rattled my brain lol. So the friend is trying to get me to go with a front wheel drive, saying it goes over terrain much better. I rejected that last chair around, because it went only 5 mph, and felt like I was falling forward when I stopped suddenly. (though I kow with the little wheels it really won't). But now they do go 6 mph. Which still SUCKS, why can't our chairs be allowed to go faster ?! I'm not allowed to pay for upgrade speed package either. Ugh. I also hate the footplates on the Permobil. They don't clean easily, and are just big. On a Quickie I could get one similar to the manual chairs, and I like that since my favorite chair was the old Invacare X-terra. That was a tank of a chair!
    So what are the opinions here? I sure wish an F4 could be funded. But should I nix the Quickie and go Perm again?? I am active outside, do dog sports (hence speed is handy).

So I had a Permobile C300 before I just received the F3 about a month ago. My C300 was reliable and well built, something I desperately needed after the awful Pride products I had previously. The only repairs I ever had was wheels with the C300. Things I didn't like about the C300

1. Felt every crack in the sidewalk
    2. Not a big fan of footplates

My F3 has been in use for about a month as I said. It is wonderful handling cracks/bumps. The suspension is light years better than anything I have previously had. I can go for walks with wife and not worry about spasming from all the vibration. Thing I don't like about F3.
    1. Footplates again are too big.
    2. If you use ez-lock the bolt doesn't sit under front wheels so clearance is a bigger issue.

Overall, love this chair. highly recommend as long as reliability continues. Good luck.

I have an F3 in my only beef over the C300, which is now my backup chair, is that I am now sitting a good inch and a half higher, making driving visibility worse, as well as eating at tables.

I have an Invacare deep matrix elite back on my chair with nice curved maximal lateral supports. Much improved over the crappy lateral supports on the C300.

I am a C6 quad. I do not like the control as it curves upward higher than the actual armrest type and can catch on the on the surface of tables that previously I was able to get under with the control straight out.

Consider the ZX-1 hang on power unit.
    It tucks under your manual wheelchair without any compromise of space/maneuverability excepting the higher arm-rests (which you can swivel in/over your lap, or if you need to reach the floor, swivel away).
    It attaches/disconnects in seconds.
    It gives you some great options other than being stuck in one or the other (manual/power)
    It's about 75lbs, maybe 15 less with LiFePO batteries), so not practical for someone to lift into a trunk, etc. I made a simple hoist to load it into my wife's SUV for travel
    ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

You KNOW your manual chair, clearances, comfort, where it will fit. The ZX1 preserves almost all of that and is a smooth running power chair.
    I got mine with <90 hrs on it for $1600 used. They come up pretty regularly.

That's interesting. I only sit 1/2" higher in my F3 vs C300.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    Do you have the elevating feature? Maybe that is why Crags sits higher, if he has the elevating feature on his chair.

But this chair height thing is getting out of control! Manufacturers just don't have tall people on their radar screens. I am 6'3" and barely making it under the tables and desks in my house (which are all higher than normal) and experiencing some difficulties in public places now too. When I got my Permobil m300 three years ago fitting under tables and desks became a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    For some people 1/2" can be a big deal. Transfers and getting under tables come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    The rep brought out a Quickie (forget the exact model, but the one Medi-cal pays for), and I liked it, nice and quiet, looked good, etc. However a friend warned me that she knew someone with huge trouble, so much that they had it declared a lemon. They commented how many others also had an issue with that chair, so it made me cancel.
    I have a Quickie 646SE. No problems with mine. Not sure what model they brought you to try.

Most wheelchair manufacturers will give you seat height options on the order form. You also need to consider what cushion you are using. I just swapped from a high profile Roho Quadtro to Roho Contour Select and am about 2-3 cm lower.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Do you have the elevating feature? Maybe that is why Crags sits higher, if he has the elevating feature on his chair.

But this chair height thing is getting out of control! Manufacturers just don't have tall people on their radar screens. I am 6'3" and barely making it under the tables and desks in my house (which are all higher than normal) and experiencing some difficulties in public places now too. When I got my Permobil m300 three years ago fitting under tables and desks became a problem.
    I actually do have the elevating so not sure why his height difference is so much. I took measurements of the 2 different chairs because I had very little extra headroom for my van. 1/4" difference