Thread: white skin forming over healed pressure sore

white skin forming over healed pressure sore

I've suffered with an ongoing pressure sore on my right ischial for a while. Managed to get it healed and have gradually been building up to 2 3 hour sessions in the chair but about 4 days ago a dry patch in the centre of the scar tissue appeared. Only about 5mm diameter. Overnight it changed from dry to white skin about 7mm diameter. No redness or broken skin just a white area. Has anyone had anything like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I had a similar situation with a sore on my coccyx. It healed up but after a while it started to develop a scaly, white appearance. I could just barely see it with my mirror, so I applied lotion to it at night hoping to keep the skin soft. Well, anyway, it split open last month and I have a full blown pressure sore again. The wound doctor said a callus can form and be a source of pressure that will cause the wound to recur. Yours appears to be about the same situation. Be very careful. Consult your doctor but I think you might want to cover it with a Mepilex pad at least and possibly some wound gel if your doctor agrees. Don't let a callus develop. This kind of s**t can really wear you down. Hang in there.

Does not look good, mrb, and probably isn't. Call the medical people and keep after them. Setbacks are a pretty common bump along the road to recovery.

Can't really tell- was it exposed to moisture? Maceration?
    Using anything that could cause hypergranulation?
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Can't really tell- was it exposed to moisture? Maceration?
    Using anything that could cause hypergranulation?
    CWO
    It started as dry skin which we put moisturising cream on, it is really difficult to find a balance between it drying out and becoming too moist. Currently not applying any creams or dressings to see what happens. Only up in chair 2 hours a day and lying almost flat in bed with little weight on IT's. I've had similar dry crusty skin peel off and leave an open wound.