Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Permobil C350 question, need more speed

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Would they be usable on sand?
    Probably not those tyres but other 120/70 x 8 or 110/80 x 8 might be. If you go wider you will need new wheels. If you do it try and go tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post

I'll take some photos, Monday, as I've got the wheels off a Permobil chair, currently
    I looked at a few different chairs, today, and can't see any practical (i.e., "on the cheap") way that you can get a 50% (starting from the 6.5MPH "high speed upgrade" configuration) to 100% (starting from the 5MPH "base" configuration) increase in wheel diameter (to get to 10MPH) without seriously modifying the chair.

The wheels can't continue to exist in their current "planes" as they will interfere with tie-downs, anti-tips and even the seating plate (unless you're configured for a really narrow seat!). And, any increase in diameter comes with a corresponding increase in seat height. (this may be desireable if operating outdoors as it gives you enhanced ground/obstacle clearance).

You might be able to shim the motor mounts outward (probably more robust than trying to move the wheel out). And, if you could fabricate a (simple/flat) "shim" to do this for the motor, you could potentially rotate the motor upward so that the output shaft of the gearbox is raised to counteract the effect of the increased wheel diameter -- make it resemble a manual chair's proportions.

[Actually, this might be an easy "kit" option -- if suitable tires could be found!]

To the OP: Yeah, you're SoL. Looks like 5 (or 6.5) MPH is all you're going to get... (I think there are some Quickies that will offer you 8.5MPH)

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Possible to increase tire diameter?
    Considered tire diameter but don't want to lower torque.

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    Oooooo! Clever man! Speed indicated on the display would, of course, be wrong -- but you could make mental adjustments for that. Ditto for distance traveled (note to self: how does chair know how fast wheels are actually moving??)

Practical problem would be finding wheels that had the same bolt-hole positions...
    A thick tread recap on my existing tires would increase diameter and retain same/stock wheels and chair width. Bonus: I could see black marks from doing burnouts (I wish). Of course higher speed needs different wheels for wider chair width too = stability.
    I'm overdue for motor failure on my C500. Torque seems weaker. Need to disassemble motors for inspection and new brushes

Maybe this summer I'll put a bicycle speedo on it. Old Pilot+ has no screen. May borrow a Gopro.