Thread: Those doing Gent bladder flushes. Read this.

Those doing Gent bladder flushes. Read this.

So I reluctantly started doing these bladder flushes a year ago after that 6 month study came out saying bacteria wasn't becoming resistant. Some people saying they have been doing them for decades they are safe and other like me who can’t make sense how doing this day after day how cant they become resistant. And after a year of having 5-6 infections I have now bacteria (ecoli) that is resistant to gentamicin, tobermycin and 3 other antibiotics.

Im stoping this insanity now, becoming resistant to the two strongest antibiotics is a horrible thing and god knows how many years this has taken off my lifespan.

For those out there saying this this is a good thing and pushing antibiotics, I’m here saying its not.

FML.
    Last edited by dewie27; 05-15-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dewie27 View Post
    So I reluctantly started doing these bladder flushes a year ago after that 6 month study came out saying bacteria wasn't becoming resistant. Some people saying they have been doing them for decades they are safe and other like me who can’t make sense how doing this day after day how cant they become resistant. And after a year of having 5-6 infections I have now bacteria (ecoli) that is resistant to gentamicin, tobermycin and 3 other antibiotics.

Im stoping this insanity now, becoming resistant to the two strongest antibiotics is a horrible thing and god knows how many years this has taken off my lifespan.

For those out there saying this this is a good thing and pushing antibiotics, I’m here saying its not.

FML.
    Sorry to hear you are getting resistance and UTI's. Would you mind linking study you are citing Dewie?
    Also, are you doing intermittent/clean cath? or a different method of bladder management?
    Thanks

What were the organisms in your urine before starting the flushes? Any resistant organisms before you started the flushes?

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    what is a gent flush anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    what is a gent flush anyway?
    Gentamicin is an IV antibiotic which when mixed in certain proportions with sterile saline or sterile water is being used by some to flush the bladder in an attempt to prevent infections.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=Gentamicin

Blog Entries
    dewie, those antibiotics considered 'black box' , or level like leviquin / cipro?

The study i posted was cic only, if i remember you use an indwelling , that is a different monster.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Never never overuse antibiotics