Thread: Cath size?

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

Cath size?

I went in for a botox treatment and noticed when I got home they replaced my usual 24 cath with a 22. Just curious if I will have trouble going back to a 24 when it is time to change in four weeks? Should I order 22s as long as I don't have any residual leakage around the stoma?

(as a note - I went to a 24 a long time ago due to clogging issues, which I haven't had cloggs in about three years)

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Treeza04 View Post
    I went in for a botox treatment and noticed when I got home they replaced my usual 24 cath with a 22. Just curious if I will have trouble going back to a 24 when it is time to change in four weeks? Should I order 22s as long as I don't have any residual leakage around the stoma?

(as a note - I went to a 24 a long time ago due to clogging issues, which I haven't had cloggs in about three years)

Thanks in advance...
    The practice by many urologists is to place the smallest supra pubic catheter possible. As you indicate, sizing up may be required due to problems with drainage. Since you haven't had difficulty with draining, stay with the 22Fr that was placed. The difference between the sizes is tiny. The supra pubic stoma should quickly close up to accommodate the 22 Fr without leakage. On this forum, I've read about people who experience quick closing of the stoma during a catheter change. One person wrote that they have to remove the old catheter with one hand and have the new catheter in the other hand read to to keep the stoma open enough to insert the new one.

24 Fr = .32 inches or 8.7 mm diameter
    22 Fr = .295 inches or 8 mm diameter

The larger the tube, the more chance of leaking. We do not recommend any catheter over 18-20fr and start with a 14 or 16. Flushing catheter is advised if clogging or not draining. Bladder spasms are usually the cause of leakage. Of course Botox takes care of that. Botox is not typically done with an Sptube unless continues to leak.
    I would recommend seeing how the 22 does and continuing with that.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Thanks gjnl and CWO

Since changing to a silicone cath and flushing with sterile saline I haven't had any clogging or bladder stones. Lucky!! The increase in size of cath was to help with the clogging, which resulted in me getting up to a 24. I also cap off my sp and empty every two hours. I know that's not the norm but it works for me. The last botox I got was almost two years ago. Was having spasming sensations and leakage so I knew it was time.

So far the has been no residual leakage around the stoma so I am going to stick with the 22.

Thanks again for your replies - have a great day !