Thread: Travel expenses

Travel expenses

I am a frequent traveler. As a C4/5 quad I cannot do so without bringing my attendant. So naturally I provide for their airfare, hotel, meals, etc. In addition, the cost of care. In speaking with a fellow quad who travels, he believed that the expenses I incur for my aide (plane ticket, hotel, meals, cost of care) can all be written off for healthcare expenses in taxes. Is this accurate?

I don't think you can legally deduct these expenses. To be able to deduct the type of expenses for travel that you have listed, the travel has to be for medical treatment. And thee are restrictions and caps on these type of expenses.

Trips
    You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals aren't included. See
    Lodging , earlier. You can't include in medical expenses a trip or vacation taken merely for a change in environment, improvement of morale, or general improvement of health, even if the trip is made on the advice of a doctor. However, see Medical Conferences , earlier.

This information is for 2018, I don't believe a 2019 publication is available at this time.
    https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2018_publink1000178989

Deduction value for medical expenses

The IRS allows you to deduct qualified medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for 2017 and 2018. Beginning Jan. 1, 2019, all taxpayers may deduct only the amount of the total unreimbursed allowable medical care expenses for the year that exceeds 10% of their adjusted gross income.Your

adjusted gross income (AGI) is your taxable income minus any adjustments to income such as deductions, contributions to a traditional IRA and student loan interest. For example, if you have an adjusted gross income of $45,000 and $5,475 of medical expenses, you would multiply $45,000 by 0.075 (7.5 percent) to find that only expenses exceeding $3,375 can be deducted. This leaves you with a medical expense deduction of $2,100 (5,475 - 3,375).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/health-care/can-i-claim-medical-expenses-on-my-taxes/L1htkVqq9

Thank you. It seemed questionable to me (and too good to be true).