Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'People in wheelchairs should be able to fly'

It took OSHA and NIOSH involvement to get hospitals and nursing homes in the USA to start implementing safe patient handling and movement techniques, replacing dangerous (for both nurses and patients) manual lifting with the use of mechanical lifts and and other devices in most USA hospitals. I was part of the national effort to get this implemented into rehabilitation centers and clinics (a joint effort of the Assoc. of Rehabilitation Nurses and the the American Physical Therapy Assoc.). Building a business case for this based on huge injured worker costs, plus loss of experienced and highly qualified nursing and therapy staff to career-ending injuries was an important part of this change, in spite of hospitals fighting these efforts due to "excessive costs".

In the project I worked on at my hospital, we installed ceiling track lifts on my unit as a demonstration project (cost $200,000), and were able to show a savings in injured worker costs of over $500,000 in less than 6 months. The rest of the hospital was similarly equipped over the next 5 years.

I'll bet that many of these workers who do this lifting at airports are unionized...their union needs to get behind this effort and join together with travelers with mobility impairments to push the airlines and airports.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It took OSHA and NIOSH involvement to get hospitals and nursing homes in the USA to start implementing safe patient handling and movement techniques, replacing dangerous (for both nurses and patients) manual lifting with the use of mechanical lifts and and other devices in most USA hospitals. I was part of the national effort to get this implemented into rehabilitation centers and clinics (a joint effort of the Assoc. of Rehabilitation Nurses and the the American Physical Therapy Assoc.). Building a business case for this based on huge injured worker costs, plus loss of experienced and highly qualified nursing and therapy staff to career-ending injuries was an important part of this change, in spite of hospitals fighting these efforts due to "excessive costs".

In the project I worked on at my hospital, we installed ceiling track lifts on my unit as a demonstration project (cost $200,000), and were able to show a savings in injured worker costs of over $500,000 in less than 6 months. The rest of the hospital was similarly equipped over the next 5 years.

I'll bet that many of these workers who do this lifting at airports are unionized...their union needs to get behind this effort and join together with travelers with mobility impairments to push the airlines and airports.

(KLD)
    That is pretty cool. I can't believe people haven't got hurt doing transfers at airports.

Remember there are two sides to every story. I deal with people wanting and needing to fly all the time.

Alot of people in our community dont want to stand out or cause a big fuss.

My Wife and I have been flying for 21 years many times flying several times a month.

Have never been hurt, dropped, or in pain from being lifted.

Its fast, simple and effortless. Now there are times airline people think the know how to lift me better then I know myself and body.

Just like anything else in our life we need to speak up and be our own advocate explain how you need and want to be lifted.

If someone is more heavy then you may need more help.

But for me I dont want a big production and a lot of attention.

Side note...just because one has a lift dont be lead in to a false sense of security.

Cant tell you how many times we have gotten on a bus or shuttle and had to show the driver how to use the lift control.

Leaving for Mexico Thursday and at least two legs of four will be on regional jets.
    Nervous.

I have good arm and shoulder strength (no core), but I've heard they often manhandle you up the stairs at airports without jetways. I've also heard they will sometimes use the food loading equipment to get a wheelchair user into the plane. We shall see.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.