Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What color floors? On opposite sides with my fiancee. Advice?

"She'd like to get a big dog down the line which is going to scratch up the floor. The guy in the flooring stores said a light natural oak hides that really well and can be touched up really well"

Forget what that guy at the store told you. Big dogs on a wood floor is going get scratched and you will notice it, no matter what color it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You asked an open ended question seeking "Advise" on this forum about a choice of flooring in your house and (as some perceived it) the power struggle you are having with your girlfriend.

Don't chastise and berate members on this forum with your diatribe above, who have taken the time to read what you have posted, considered your situation, weighed in, and given their honest opinion because these are opinions you don't wish to hear.

Ask a question on this or any other forum and be ready to hear the opinions you get.
    I'm not berating anyone. I thanked people very early on for their comments about their houses and colour choices. Yes I highlighted the 'why' I was asking that my fiance & I have differing colour tastes.

When the comment was made that I was 'valuing' my fiances input based on how much money she is contributing to the initial build, yes, I found the offensive & 100% wrong. And I further provided info to explain the situation... to give context... I didn't go say 'F you' or anything like that so don't spin it that way.

And yes I disagreed with the opinion that we should break up because we're having a difference of opinion on flooring. I personally think it's silly to insinuate that... that's my opinion... and I have that right. I think couples will good communication can talk through and get through opposing points of view in a strong relationship. And I didn't tell those people who said we should split to 'F off' either. I again gave context to explain & re-iterated why I felt she should compromise on the flooring and how I was attempting to compromise elsewhere to balance the trade.

I'm not the one bent out of shape offended... you are. All I did was provide further info, further detail, and explain my rationale & what I perceived to be some of hers to give a better explanation because I don't expect anyone who does not personally know us to be able to 100% understand the situation. If you're offended by that you're reading into my reply more than is there.

I've been reading and appreciative of every reply and taking note of the suggestions and experiences of others. If you'll note my last comment was thanking whomever suggested ceramic tile -- which I actually brought up with her.

So for those of you who replied -- I'm appreciative of all your replies, I read them all, and took them all to heart. Some I disagree with, some I agree with, but I'm appreciative of the replies no the less. I'm just expressing opinions like all of you are. I never said I wasn't open to them... If I wasn't I wouldn't have asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    "She'd like to get a big dog down the line which is going to scratch up the floor. The guy in the flooring stores said a light natural oak hides that really well and can be touched up really well"

Forget what that guy at the store told you. Big dogs on a wood floor is going get scratched and you will notice it, no matter what color it is.
    You're correct. All wood will scratch. I can't remember my exact comment - if you quoted it exact - but the flooring guy just said oak is 'easier' to touch-up with a touch-up stick/pen... but yes all will still show scratching I agree 100%.... guess it's just some a bit less hopefully.

We were considering a matt or brushed look to further hide wear/scratches

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    RJC, have you two considered looking at other floor covering choices than your personal favorites? Also, is ceramic tile an option? Pricy but very permanent and great to roll on. We got ours about 25 years ago in living room, dining room; wood flooring in bedroom, berber carpet in guest bedroom.
    Yes I'm still trying to be open to choices that are not my initial. I'm trying to prompt her to suggest some that aren't her as well but so far we haven't found a middle ground yet. It's hard because she gets stressed easily and prefers to disengage and defer to the other when feeling that. So I'm trying to encourage her not to feel that way and consider it still an open discussion and continue to go looking at choices with me. 1 day of initial looking for 45-60 min is not enough to find anything yet alone middle ground. This is kinda why I said to her how about we compromise with me picking this flooring and you dictating the other stuff. That way we both give.

A friend of mine has all ceramic like you said you have. I'm actually open to that. I may re-visit that topic if we can't find middle ground on hardwood/vinyl planking

Maybe you could both like a pickled or bleached finished wood floor...it's light in color but also has that driftwood effect that your fianc? likes. Here's an example, but there are many other possibilities: https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...AS5NV/10038343
    I think you're right that the fad for gray driftwood finishes is on the way out. Since you're at home more and are looking at the floors much more than she will,
    don't choose anything you're going to dislike. One benefit of the mottled pickled finish is that it doesn't show dirt as quickly as a light wood gloss finish floor does.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    Maybe you could both like a pickled or bleached finished wood floor...it's light in color but also has that driftwood effect that your fianc? likes. Here's an example, but there are many other possibilities: https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...AS5NV/10038343
    I think you're right that the fad for gray driftwood finishes is on the way out. Since you're at home more and are looking at the floors much more than she will,
    don't choose anything you're going to dislike. One benefit of the mottled pickled finish is that it doesn't show dirt as quickly as a light wood gloss finish floor does.
    I actually like that one you linked to. It has a warmer/brighter feel to me... more what I consider neutral than the grays she's pointed out to me so far that have been really gray. Thanks for that link & suggestion.

It's still gray. I guess it's not that bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    It's still gray. I guess it's not that bad after all.
    It is... but it's so light it feels warmer to me... the first pic with the furniture feels 'bright'.... something like that I could potentially go with. The colours my fiance pointed out thusfar have been really dark gray... even the lightest she showed me was more flat dull slate in color... just felt 'cold'.... for me it's really about that bright/warm/light feel.... I can compromise a bit on warm if it's bright.

I heartily endorse tiles!
    And I love the light colored flooring we have which is from Locally harvested
    Tulip poplar.
    (Our house is sheaved with it, and the aquarium base and stair planks are also the same)

Here is more of the lake flooring in my wife?s yoga room ( which really gives her ownership of the space !)

When we married, we both owned our homes. I intuited that we had to have an "our" house. We searched in vain and I moved in with Julie.
    A year later this roughly converted barn popped up and we got it!
    Our mutual vision informed this space and it is marvelous.
    I can't think of living anywhere else----at least now.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pfcs49; 05-14-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Gorgeous floors, pfcs49. I love the way you've transitioned between wood and tile.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions