Thread: Woke up with vertigo and a little bit of light sensitivity

Woke up with vertigo and a little bit of light sensitivity

Hey all,

This a.m., I woke up with a noticeable amount of vertigo, some light sensitivity, and a general feeling of being "off". Last (and first) time I suffered from vertigo was in 2005 when I was newly injured. Dr. then said I had an ear infection which triggered it.

I am not sure what to make of this and I am thinking of going to an urgent care center. Anyone else suffer from similar symptoms? Am I being overly dramatic? Would I be crazy to think this can be a brain hemorrhage/possible oncoming stroke that I shouldn't ignore? I don't have any pain in my head and I don't really feel nauseated.

Thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by Tufelhunden; 05-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

I would get checked out. It is possible it could be sinus or ear related, but better safe than sorry.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Look up BPPV on the Mayo Clinic website. The same thing happened to me back in Nov '18.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER

Don't know if you're a quad, but I am and go through periods where I experienced more morning dizziness and feeling off than others. Could be just orthostatic hypotension from lying down all night.

Blog Entries
    Could be low blood pressure too????

Thanks for the replies. I get a little dramatic sometimes. I am on sabbatical from my university and am spending the research time out in CA. It's the first time back in CA during the spring in like three years (I'm usually on the West Coast only in the summer and large part of winter). I'm positive my sinuses set everything off; probably due to me not being used to the pollen out here.

crags: I'm a T-4 ASIA B.

Blog Entries
    Hypochondria is next godliness when it comes to sci

There seems to be some confusion here. Vertigo refers to experiencing things spinning around, sometimes called dizziness. It is associated with problems of the inner era. Orthostatic hypotension is associated with fainting or feeling like one's head is shutting down or passing out.

I have a seasonal allergy the results in vertigoo. Allegra, an OTC anti-allergy med, works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
    There seems to be some confusion here. Vertigo refers to experiencing things spinning around, sometimes called dizziness. It is associated with problems of the inner era. Orthostatic hypotension is associated with fainting or feeling like one's head is shutting down or passing out.

I have a seasonal allergy the results in vertigoo. Allegra, an OTC anti-allergy med, works well for me.
    Thank you for this valuable information. I typically do not take anti-histamines, but if I ever experience this again, I will give Allegra a go.

But you can have vertigo( loss of balance, room spinning as you stand still,feel like you are whirling around)/dizziness if you have a bleed , 8th cranial nerve tumor, Meniere's disease etc.. I don't think most people know the specifics but if you complain of dizziness, the provider with assess for both.
    Most common is inner ear infection/swelling.
    "Sinus" medication will help drain if that is the problem.
    Glad you are feeling better.

cWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.