Thread: Head Mouse clicking switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Head Mouse clicking switch

I have a SmartNav head mouse and for years used old recline switches as a right/left mouse clicks. Those switches, however, wear out quickly so a year or so ago, my dad rewired an old Atari joystick to work as a clicker. It too finally wore out. I ordered two new ones on ebay, but they weren't the same quality (cheap aftermarket devices) and barely worked a day before breaking.

Anyhow, what I'm in need of is a simple switch that is heavy duty and not too costly. Anyone have an idea that would work for what I need? By the way, I need a toggle type switch, not a button type.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I have a SmartNav head mouse and for years used old recline switches as a right/left mouse clicks. Those switches, however, wear out quickly so a year or so ago, my dad rewired an old Atari joystick to work as a clicker. It too finally wore out. I ordered two new ones on ebay, but they weren't the same quality (cheap aftermarket devices) and barely worked a day before breaking.

Anyhow, what I'm in need of is a simple switch that is heavy duty and not too costly. Anyone have an idea that would work for what I need? By the way, I need a toggle type switch, not a button type.

Thanks...
    Sorry, I'm having a hard time following your needs. Do you have a photo to share? And, why a "toggle" action instead of a "momentary"?

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    Sorry, I'm having a hard time following your needs. Do you have a photo to share? And, why a "toggle" action instead of a "momentary"?
    That's what I meant, a momentary switch. My rewired Atari joystick quit working so my dad took the recline switch off my old wheelchair. Its working but I'm sure that it will wear out soon. I need a heavy duty switch that has a on - off - on momentary toggle.

That's what I meant, a momentary switch. My rewired Atari joystick quit working so my dad took the recline switch off my old wheelchair. Its working but I'm sure that it will wear out soon. I need a heavy duty switch that has a on - off - on momentary toggle.
    But, you need a switch with a long "lever arm" against which to press?

Or, do you have a MECHANISM into which a smaller switch can be mounted?

E.g., the Atari joysticks have a long (2+ inches) "actuator arm" that a user's hand would wrap around. Inside the base is a tiny switch that is engaged by this "actuator arm".

One problem you are likely having is the switch's capacity for "over-throw" -- capable of being pushed beyond its activation point without incurring damage.

Do you need a bare switch (to incorporate into some sort of enclosure -- hence my reason for requesting a picture)? Or, do you want a "complete assembly" that you could mount, somehow?

A telegraph key would probably be ideal (in terms of durability, overthrow and adaptability)

From https://www.mtechnologies.com/ameco/keys.htm

Could you use something like a (small) foot pedal used for tape transcription machines and other "foot operated" devices?

https://www.tattoomachineequipment.c...too-foot-pedal

I talked to my dad about building a switch that would work like that telegraph device. The only reason we didn't stick to building it was that I remembered that I had a couple wheelchair recline switches in the garage. I'm going to see if he can go ahead and work on an "open air" switch.

I talked to my dad about building a switch that would work like that telegraph device. The only reason we didn't stick to building it was that I remembered that I had a couple wheelchair recline switches in the garage. I'm going to see if he can go ahead and work on an "open air" switch.
    The telegraph key pictured is ~$12, IIRC. You may be able to find others of different size/shape/price that "fit better".