Thread: Compassionate use for upcoming Dr. Wise Young trial

Compassionate use for upcoming Dr. Wise Young trial

Hey all,

This is my first time posting so if I am doing something wrong or posting in the wrong place please let me know.

I have been following the work of Dr. Wise Young since I got hurt about 3 years ago.

I was initially diagnosed as C4-C5 Asia C. I am able to ambulate with a regular walker for very short distances and can do about 30 minutes on a treadmill at a snail's pace

My question is, if and when the trial gets approval for compassionate use, will it be open to incomplete injuries like mine? Because I understand I would not be approved for the actual trial itself.

I guess I am very lucky because I have pretty good finger dexterity on my left hand and my right is starting to come back. So I feel like if I can just get a 10% or 20% push from a trial like this with a lot of hard work, I can maybe get back to a functional level with my kids so really hoping the compassionate use aspect will apply.

Thanks so much for any response and I apologize for the long-winded post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    Hey all,

This is my first time posting so if I am doing something wrong or posting in the wrong place please let me know.

I have been following the work of Dr. Wise Young since I got hurt about 3 years ago.

I was initially diagnosed as C4-C5 Asia C. I am able to ambulate with a regular walker for very short distances and can do about 30 minutes on a treadmill at a snail's pace

My question is, if and when the trial gets approval for compassionate use, will it be open to incomplete injuries like mine? Because I understand I would not be approved for the actual trial itself.

I guess I am very lucky because I have pretty good finger dexterity on my left hand and my right is starting to come back. So I feel like if I can just get a 10% or 20% push from a trial like this with a lot of hard work, I can maybe get back to a functional level with my kids so really hoping the compassionate use aspect will apply.

Thanks so much for any response and I apologize for the long-winded post.
    Hi Mitchitsu,

This was posted by Jim awhile back...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Pauly, the phrenic nerve mostly originates at C4. For that reason, neurosurgeons are reluctant to inject there. Wise plans to have a separate trial for high quads. Instead of injecting above and below the injury site, inject below and into the top part of the injury. This all has to be worked out. I'm speculating, but don't think the FDA will allow this to be eligible for Compassionate Use before being tested in it's own trial.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Hi Mitchitsu,

This was posted by Jim awhile back...
    Well that is super depressing.
    Thanks a million for the quick response.