Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Quickie Shadow handcycle

The Schlumpf drive is assembled. I was a bit heavy on the grease but that will sort itself out over a short time. I used molygrease to capture the balls on the race then finished off with the Penrite NLGI 00 grease.
    On the bench it shift a lot sweeter and appears to be working well.
    A final check of the Sachs hub I removed the torque arm to recheck the steel brake ring and brake cone - all good.
    I had a rat around my old chair bits and found some brake clamps that will fulfill the role of securing the Schlumpf torque arm (with a nod to you Smity for your fine example) it will serve to support the park brake too.
    I will be using 2 TiLite brake support clamps because they are more refined than the Karma example. Being black they will blend in well enough.
    I'll be using 2 outer pieces; one will require drilling and counterbore to accept the cap screws.
    I think its new position will be an improvement. It is not set in stone though, there may be a swap of the gear selector and brake position??
    So tomorrow the chainguard should be beaten straight by Jason and some machining of the alloy bits at a mates place. A slug inserted in the thin wall steerer tube. Bicycle seat stem clamps eased out. Remove metal from the LH crank to 25mm and deepening the recess for the Schlumpf buttons to the recommended depth of 8mm (-0, +0.5), bore a piece of old mountain bike bar to sleeve the brake lever arm thingy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-03-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Always nice to see new life breathed into something.... Great work

Using slow hand feed and caution the crank arm was set up in the lathe and the required amount removed – a crank extractor came in handy for that operation. Bored out the sleeve tube. I decided not to go with the seat post clamps
    Back home I ran an adjustable reamer down the steerer tube - except for the very top it was true. The insert was a nice fit so there was no need to pin it in place.
    The brake support clamp was drilled out then counter-bored using a ground drill bit. The machining was a bit hairy as the drill press spindle has a bit of slop – a mill it is not. But I got it sorted.
    Jason did an exceptional job hammering and filing the chain-guard true.

Now assembled on the cycle the next bit was to align the chain-ring with the hub sprocket and mark the steerer tube for reference.
    I removed the steer spring, up-ended the cycle and using timber props I set the wheel on the horizontal so I could eye ball from my wheelchair.
    Using two straight edges (1 longer length of 50x50 angle iron a smaller length of 20x10 alloy angle). One length resting across the wheel and the other on the chain ring, a bit of this way and that, job done.
    Thanks to my wife for her able assistance.
    The chain guides required some attention as they did not allow the chain to track true; probably been like that since new.
    Checked that the chain-ring and hub sprocket were true in the vertical plane. They are near enough for now, 5mm out. I can likely reverse the existing one or if I change the ratio, replace with a flat sprocket.

So, off for a test run.
    Down the drive then up the road for a short distance and back home. Bloody marvelous!
    My Son had a run too. We both agreed that it is a good workout; I could certainly feel it.
    The ability to move distance near effortlessly in comparison, is a terrific feeling.
    Just a few more small things to do before we can go riding together, or alone.
    I parked up the cycle last evening and noticed a flange nut was missing from the Schlumpf.
    Bugger.
    That is my fault for
    allowing my enthusiasm to get the better of me and not checking before taking it for a run .
    This morning I went out on my wheelchair retracing my travel in the hope I may come upon that nut.
    I know, a hopeless endeavour; a black nut on a black chip seal road. I have more chance winning the lottery. Fortunately they are standard 6mm serrated flanged nut.

Edit: reversing the hub sprocket is the answer and will give me near perfect alignment and a clean chain run. Looking back at the earlier images I can see that it is my oversight and that I had fitted the sprocket incorrectly

Last edited by slow_runner; 06-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Is the toe-in/out adjustable on the Shadow?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-27-2019 at 09:18 PM.

There isn't an adjustment for toe but how far you thread the axle receivers into the frame affects the height of the rear which can affect toe. If toed out you need to raise the rear by threading the receivers into the frame further.

Thanks Smity. Tomorrow I will inflate the tyres and load some body, any body, on the Shadow and roll it a few feet to settle then get my measure tape and see what it reveals. It has just gone midnight so I am off to get proper horizontal.

Toe is 1mm negative so I call that neutral and I am happy with that.
    I removed the footplates and fittings for a freshen up. Removed all the flaked powdercoat off the alloy pieces as the alloy had oxidised beneath.
    Cleaned all with the wire wheel, waxed the metal fittings and etched primed/top coated the alloy. Reassembled, waxing all that needed attention, especially the plate pivot. Reattached and set the footplates with the aid of the string level and a suitable socket to give a good incline angle. It looks like new from a few feet distance.

The previous owner/s had used the crank arms loose at some time and flogged them a bit.
    Though they will pull up well enough, I feel it is too much load on the hollow Schlumpf bolts.
    Tomorrow I need to find a suitable file and fettle the crank arm square tapers. They need setting in a bit more to enable the Schlumpf buttons to secure more fully on the selector rod.
    I have my bearing blue, vice and a J.I.S square taper spindle.
    Tomorrow I will find some patience, ability and good fortune .....
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-04-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Tomorrow has been and gone more than a few times.

Yesterday was not that pleasant. I had found my set of small cheapo Chinese files the day previous. My wife was out of the house for the afternoon looking after our Grandchildren. So, why not take the opportunity to sort the crank tapers in comfort ?

I brought everything inside to the kitchen table and set up my working. Newspaper and cardboard to keep everything clean. The #80 vice to clamp to the table, bearing blue, Vernier, hammer, extractor, polygrips, square taper spindle & rags.
    The process went like this: blue spindle, place in crank and belt firmly in - measure spindle face to crank surface, making notes to compare with other crank then extract. Check witness markings, mount in vice and file to remove witness on all faces with the smaller markings.
    Keep repeating......
    It took the best part of 2 hours to get both crank arms matched in both position & depth of engagement – no rush, very Zen.

Removed equipment to the garage and cleaned up.

Today the rain has set in.
    Out to the garage where the blued dummy spindle was firmly belted into each crank and the witnesses re-checked. The result was very satisfactory and the parts were cleaned and dried then assembled on the Schlumpf tapers. The crank bolts have somewhat slim washers and not wishing to deform them I placed a suitable HD washer in place and torqued in steps to 25ftlbs. That figure felt right. The manual specifies 35-40 ftlb. Removed the heavier washer & re-torqued the crank spindle bolts.

Previously, before stripping the drive, the crank arms were positioned poorly, the Schlumpf selector buttons could not be located fully nor were they set correctly on the shift shaft with the result of an incorrect engagement.
    Now both crank arms sit central on their tapers, the buttons engage more fully on the thin shifting shaft and are positioned correctly.
    I have ‘bench’ tested it and it is functioning well.
    If the rain would stop I could take it out for a semi-serious trial run or three.

The upholstery is still useable and still naff.

Last edited by slow_runner; 07-04-2019 at 07:24 AM.

The weather has taken a turn for the better. It is very crisp and the sun has made its way above the morning cloud. So my wife and I are setting out for a jaunt. Keeping it local for the initial runs.

What fun!
    We set off from home to the local train station. Making my way over the railway bridge I was thankful for the Schlumpf drive – 1st gear in low drive. Resting at the top for a breather, whew. When my wife caught up we made our way to the station where I intended to trial fit the trike in the designated section for prams, bikes and wheelchairs. The next train was 12 minutes away so we made our way across town and down to the inlet walkway that weaves its way along a small section of the harbour. A first for us and a very pleasant place.

I came upon a long incline that educated me on physics and the characteristic of the Shadow. On the lowest gear I had to cycle slow and steady to avoid wheel spin. I got past that spot and further on there was a small steep hump. Not enough speed up in second low I came to a stop with the cranks in an awkward position. I could barely hold myself stationary and I knew that engaging either the park or back pedal brake was not possible without grief. What to do?
    Let it roll back (and it happened real quick), steer hard right and throw my weight as far right as possible. The trike came to a stop near facing the way I came with the front tyre sliding side-on the pavement – that was a very near thing and not the adventure I had anticipated.
    Another run at it and I was successful this time, just. A bit further on the path become pedestrian gravel so we turned back.

We made our way back to town stopping for a serving of hot chips for a shared lunch at the train station.
    Arrived there and a train pulled in a few minutes later so I tried that fitting I spoke of earlier – good result. That will work when we next set off for a trip into the central City.
    I was feeling the pleasure of this cycling lark by this time – it is good for me, right?
    Setting off for home, it gets busy at the roundabout, There is a side road to the left. Moving past that road there is a car stopping for me, I see him(?) in my periphery - no he isn’t bloody stopping . I feel my left tyre rubbing his front bumper as he pulls up and I pass in front.
    Man! That was too damn close.
    No where to stop to berate the driver; too much traffic. I go left at the roundabout and he goes right.
    We made it home without further excitement and I am pleased for that. I didn't need any more.

Things I need to do. The advice was offered previously by Patrick and, from my experience today, is worth way more than it cost.
    I need a decent mirror to monitor what is behind; a pennant or such to alert the unobservant motorist (hopefully); a decent horn/bell; correct crank arms (maybe shorter); better/correct grips; a larger chainwheel /smaller cog gear.

I Googled our route. It was 8.5km of pleasure, varying levels of effort, excitement and good luck.
    I am feeling the effort now; not hurting, just a feeling that I have exercised myself in a way that hasn’t been achieved for a long time.

Thanks for the encouragement DJ, Patrick and Smity.
    We will be doing it again for sure.

Last edited by slow_runner; 07-06-2019 at 06:54 AM.