Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Quickie Shadow handcycle

The Schlumpf drive is assembled. I was a bit heavy on the grease but that will sort itself out over a short time. I used molygrease to capture the balls on the race then finished off with the Penrite NLGI 00 grease.
    On the bench it shift a lot sweeter and appears to be working well.
    A final check of the Sachs hub I removed the torque arm to recheck the steel brake ring and brake cone - all good.
    I had a rat around my old chair bits and found some brake clamps that will fulfill the role of securing the Schlumpf torque arm (with a nod to you Smity for your fine example) it will serve to support the park brake too.
    I will be using 2 TiLite brake support clamps because they are more refined than the Karma example. Being black they will blend in well enough.
    I'll be using 2 outer pieces; one will require drilling and counterbore to accept the cap screws.
    I think its new position will be an improvement. It is not set in stone though, there may be a swap of the gear selector and brake position??
    So tomorrow the chainguard should be beaten straight by Jason and some machining of the alloy bits at a mates place. A slug inserted in the thin wall steerer tube. Bicycle seat stem clamps eased out. Remove metal from the LH crank to 25mm and deepening the recess for the Schlumpf buttons to the recommended depth of 8mm (-0, +0.5), bore a piece of old mountain bike bar to sleeve the brake lever arm thingy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-03-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Always nice to see new life breathed into something.... Great work

Using slow hand feed and caution the crank arm was set up in the lathe and the required amount removed – a crank extractor came in handy for that operation. Bored out the sleeve tube. I decided not to go with the seat post clamps
    Back home I ran an adjustable reamer down the steerer tube - except for the very top it was true. The insert was a nice fit so there was no need to pin it in place.
    The brake support clamp was drilled out then counter-bored using a ground drill bit. The machining was a bit hairy as the drill press spindle has a bit of slop – a mill it is not. But I got it sorted.
    Jason did an exceptional job hammering and filing the chain-guard true.
    I will post an image to illustrate what I ended up with.
    Now assembled on the cycle the next bit was to align the chainring with the hub sprocket and mark the steerer tube for reference.
    I removed the steer spring, up-ended the cycle and using timber props I set the wheel on the horizontal so I could eye ball from my wheelchair.
    Using two straight edges (1 longer length of 50x50 angle iron a smaller length of 20x10 alloy angle). One length resting across the wheel and the other on the chain ring, a bit of this way and that, job done.
    Thanks to my wife for her able assistance.
    The chain guides required some attention as they did not allow the chain to track true; probably been like that since new.
    Checked that the chain-ring and hub sprocket were true in the vertical plane. They are near enough for now, 5mm out. I can likely reverse the existing one or if I change the ration, replace with a flat sprocket.
    So, off for a test run.
    Down the drive then up the road for a short distance and back home. Bloody marvellous!
    My Son had a run too. We both agreed that it is a good workout; I could certainly feel it.
    The ability to move distance, near effortlessly in comparison is a terrific feeling.
    Just a few more small things to do before we can go riding together, or alone.
    I parked up the cycle last evening and noticed a flange nut was missing from the Schlumpf.
    Bugger.
    That is my fault for not checking before taking it for a run and allowing my enthusiasm to get the better of me.
    I went out on my wheelchair this morning retracing my travel in the hope I may come upon that nut. A hopeless endeavour; a black nut on a black chip seal road. I have more chance winning the lottery. They are standard 6mm serrated flanged nut.
    Last edited by slow_runner; Today at 08:44 PM.