Thread: Modified toilet install

Modified toilet install

While on holiday in the Yucatan peninsula this December we saw someone who'd raised their toilet by having a concrete pedestal created under it.
    I had our tub pulled while we're on that trip and I'm piecing the roll in shower/ bathroom back together as time allows. I used the cement pedestal trick but at the same time was able to buy hardware to allow me to rotate the toilet 45 degrees for better access from my wife's wheelchair. The adapter was a stock kit at Lowe's for $26. To make the tank work, I had to mount it backwards, but I don't think that it will look awkward to the unenlightened.
    Just thought I'd share the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a good idea on making raised concrete base to match the toilet contour. Only ones I've seen in past was a big square raised pad that could cause problems with access not only for wheels but AB's hitting with toes, too.
    Don't know your plans or setup but might consider either complete tile or something waterproof material to cover floors as well as walls to make whole room waterproof and sloped to drain. Saw some that whole bathroom was built like that especially small ones with no barriers.
    "Good Luck!"

Nice. Post more pics as you advance.

There is already a commercially available toilet lifting base available on the market:

https://www.alimed.com/easy-toilet-r...RoCwEgQAvD_BwE

https://raisemytoilet.com/product/14...xoCqFEQAvD_BwE

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    While on holiday in the Yucatan peninsula this December we saw someone who'd raised their toilet by having a concrete pedestal created under it.
    I had our tub pulled while we're on that trip and I'm piecing the roll in shower/ bathroom back together as time allows. I used the cement pedestal trick but at the same time was able to buy hardware to allow me to rotate the toilet 45 degrees for better access from my wife's wheelchair. The adapter was a stock kit at Lowe's for $26. To make the tank work, I had to mount it backwards, but I don't think that it will look awkward to the unenlightened.
    Just thought I'd share the idea.

Are you going to cover the raw concrete with tile? I'd be a bit concerned about keeping the raw concrete clean and sanitized.

Agree with "MikeP2013" about those toilet lift bases getting in the way for transfers and stubbed toe hazards.

Most toilet manufacturers make a comfort height toilet to ADA standards. There is also a corner toilet tank that may work for the angle issue.

Wall mounted toilet can be set to any height you want and has clearance underneath it. You can get metal supports which fix to the wall and hold the tank, toilet bolts to support, set the height with wood under the support, cover the support with ply and tiles. 2 of our bathrooms are done like this, unfortunately pre injury

Duravit Square D wall hung toilet

I have these types of toilets in my shower room and bathrooms made by Duravit. Duravit Square-D toilets. They are wall hung toilets with the tank inside the wall. Access to the tank is from the flush control box above.

You can mount them at any height you need them.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 05-05-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Agree wall mount, you can make the toilet any height you want, and much more sanitary. Duravit and Toto are the probably the the best toilet manufacturers for toilets for wheelchair users. Toto has one of the best systems for cleansing after you do your #2. The actual wall mounting system is made by Geberit.
    Last edited by Rustyjames; 05-05-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Saves you width.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Agree wall mount, you can make the toilet any height you want, and much more sanitary. Duravit and Toto are the probably the the best toilet manufacturers for toilets for wheelchair users. Toto has one of the best systems for cleansing after you do your #2. The actual wall mounting system is made by Geberit.
    Not only that with the tank in the wall that gives you an extra 7-8 inches of width room especially in a shower room or bathroom for those with smaller facilities.

Here are two pictures I found of the Geberit tank system in the wall during construction. Front view says Geberit rear view is blank. Very compact.

Rectangular hole in the floor is the in-floor trench drain flat floor shower room. Notice that wall is not made from 2 x 4's but 2 x 8's to hold the tank.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 05-05-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

All this discussion is a fun surprise. The wall mount bowl is a great idea, as is the corner bowl tank, but I'm tired of spending money <g>. I've always wanted to do a toilet with the tank high on the wall (like they had in the early days), but having it inside the wall is a better idea.
    The concrete base will get a good coat of gloss paint after it's cured.
    The 'Squatty Potty' foot rest in the pic doesn't quite fit around the base now, so it's going on a quick date with a stationary sander.
    Cheers-
    OB